This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 5:42 AM by Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) RSS

RAC RMAN BACKUP Recovery FOR  Oracle APPS Application

GauravAhuja Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We have an Application which is similar to Oracle APPs application and We have a RAC Database at Backend.

As I am a Oracle RAC DBA and never worked as an Oracle apps DBA.

Each Week or month We have to deploy a patch on Our Database which are kind of sql changes to Database and before we applying we need to backup our Database.

I am very comfortable while applying patches on Single instance Database:-

I Usually shutdown my database and backing up My Database(Conistent\cold Backup) before applying patch.

and I have a Flash back on both option I am having for my Database.

Problem:-
But in Production I have RAC Database, on which I already configured Hot Backup.

FlashBackup Feature is there with me, but Not reliable.

I want cold backup along with my existing hot backup, and want to restore same if something goes wrong.

Since ASM is configured so we have only option RMAN backup.

IF possible kindly Share your knowledge and Experience of your to handle Such Problem.
  • 1. Re: RAC RMAN BACKUP Recovery FOR  Oracle APPS Application
    Kamran Agayev A. Oracle ACE Director
    Why to shutdown the production database each time to take a backup when you have an option to use RMAN to backup the database online while database running?
    Check the following link from documentation on how to use RMAN with RAC to backup the database:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/rac.112/e10718/backup.htm
  • 2. Re: RAC RMAN BACKUP Recovery FOR  Oracle APPS Application
    GauravAhuja Newbie
    Sir,

RMAN is already configured for backing up database online.

My only intention is to have cold or consistent backup before applying application patch, So that at the time of crisis I will resotre my Cold/Conistent backup.

Because I am using 11gr2 RAC with ASM, so only option is there for me to use rman as backup tool.

But I never tried to Have Cold backup in RAC environment in my previous jobs, and I am new to this Oracle APPS DBA technology. So Here I am looking for a Strategy that Normally oracle apps dba use while applying patch to Oracle Database and kind of backup strategy they use.

Regards
    Gaurav
  • 3. Re: RAC RMAN BACKUP Recovery FOR  Oracle APPS Application
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

why is flashback not reliable? Set a guaranteed restorepoint before using SQL. Then it is reliable. (However make sure you have enough diskspace, otherwise DB will stall...)

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 4. Re: RAC RMAN BACKUP Recovery FOR  Oracle APPS Application
    Mihael Pro
    RMAN is already configured for backing up database online.

My only intention is to have cold or consistent backup before applying application patch, So that at the time of crisis I will resotre my Cold/Conistent backup.
    Hot backups will be also consistent if you archive current log after backup or just use
    "backup database plus archivelog", in last case rman will do it for you.
    If you want cold backup, just close the database, or use "startup mount"
  • 5. Re: RAC RMAN BACKUP Recovery FOR  Oracle APPS Application
    AJ Explorer
    Hi,

One of the purposes of RAC is to minimize downtime while performing activities such as patching ( Just check that the patch is rolling-installable ).
    I think you're introducing unecessary downtime for your system and end-users. Depending on the size of your database, taking a cold backup may cause considerable downtime - which is not even necessary.

You should read the backup recovery user's guide. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/toc.htm

Regards,
    AJ

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points