This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 2:20 AM by alvaromiranda RSS

Installing oracle linux on a netbook (no optical drive)

989944 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
After further research this is not a good place to install oracle linux.

Edited by: 986941 on Feb 8, 2013 12:34 AM

Edited by: 986941 on Feb 8, 2013 12:35 AM
  • 1. Re: Installing oracle linux on a netbook (no optical drive)
    bigdelboy Pro
    986941 wrote:
    After further research this is not a good place to install oracle linux.

Edited by: 986941 on Feb 8, 2013 12:34 AM

Edited by: 986941 on Feb 8, 2013 12:35 AM
    I would agree in general Oracle Linux would typically not be the distribution of choice for most current netbooks in most senarious
  • 2. Re: Installing oracle linux on a netbook (no optical drive)
    Dude! Guru
    You need to check this with your computer vendor. Some vendors have apparently started to support RHEL 6 for new laptops, however, the real experience will typically vary. It is also questionable whether or not such support will work with the Oracle Linux UEK kernel, which is optimized for typical Oracle Enterprise installations. The typical suspects are trackpad, wifi, power management and advanced video support.

Personally I do not see a compelling reason to run Enterprise Linux on a Laptop or desktop computer, in particular since I prefer to use a desktop system with a sophisticated GUI. Your expectations about what works reasonably may be different though. However, I think there are much better alternatives, such as free Oracle VirtualBox, which allows you to run Oracle Linux side by side without jeopardizing your primary OS or having to fiddle around with complex hard drive repartitioning and fiddling around with dual boot options, which was common practice in the last century. It's a real relief this has become history.

VirtualBox does not need a CD/DVD drive and works perfectly well with the .iso disk image files you can download from the Oracle Edelivery software cloud . You can try the pre-build VM's from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html
  • 3. Re: Installing oracle linux on a netbook (no optical drive)
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    hi there

you can use a pendrive to load linux

check this blog entry

https://blogs.oracle.com/LetTheSunShineIn/entry/install_oel_oraclevm_from_usb

was a entry in otn few weeks ago with an script to do something similar, but that post works.

what os came with the netbook?? check is 32 bit or 64 bit and you are ready to go.

As long is not ARM of course.