1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 6:37 PM by Bill Shannon-Oracle RSS

Looking for Good Example of Creating an NNTP Message

I'd like to write some Java code to send a simple text message with some links in it to a very small number of newsgroups via NNTP.

Basically, I simply want to announce the regular meetings of my book club, which meets once a month. I want to post these announcements to one or two relevant newsgroups.

It looks as if Javamail is the tool for the job but I'm having a very hard time finding any examples of creating newsgroup posts with Javamail. I have found several articles that assure the reader it can be done but none that actually show the code to do so.Can anyone point me to such an example or share one with me from your own code?

Also, from what I've read, a provider for NNTP is something I'm going to need to acquire or maybe create. Can someone explain to me how this is done? The only articles I can find that mention it are dated in 2001 and I have to assume things have progressed somewhat since then.
        • 1. Re: Looking for Good Example of Creating an NNTP Message
          Bill Shannon-Oracle
          Sadly, things have not progressed.

Long, long ago we had some experimental support for newsgroups and NNTP.
          There was never enough interest to move that forward, and I've now lost track
          of that work.

If you have enough interest (and skill) to attempt to create a JavaMail provider for
          NTTP, I'd be happy to help you out. Contact me at javamail_ww@oracle.com
          and let me know how you'd like to proceed.