This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 4:18 PM by vladodias RSS

Multi-User Development In a Single Project  containing Multiple Processes

562688 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We have a development team of 3 individuals and we are collaborating on a project. We have multiple processes inside this top level project (application) and at any given time, each one of us is working separately on one of the processes only, i.e., no two people are working on the same process simultaneously. However, we find that when ever some one is working on a process, it locks composite.xml file and no one else can modify composite.xml file since it is read-only to rest of the team. We find this to be a limiting factor as we can not develop in parallel and have to wait till that individual has checked in all relevant files. We are using JDeveloper's TFS plug-in to do the source control.

Are we doing some thing wrong here or is there another way to collaborate in JDeveloper where composite.xml can be shared so that each developer's changes could be merged later on? We will highly appreciate a solution to this problem.

Thanks,

PS
  • 1. Re: Multi-User Development In a Single Project  containing Multiple Processes
    vladodias Guru
    user559685 wrote:
    is there another way to collaborate in JDeveloper where composite.xml can be shared so that each developer's changes could be merged later on? We will highly appreciate a solution to this problem.
    That can be achieved by creating a branch for each developer... The branches can be merged in the trunk later when needed, but the merge process may become complex...

Cheers,
    Vlad
  • 2. Re: Multi-User Development In a Single Project  containing Multiple Processes
    562688 Newbie
    Thanks vladodias for replying.

Is that an official response from Oracle. If each developer has to create his/her own branch, this is not a true collaboration in real time. Oracle is not able to exploit the merging capabilities of underneath source control plug-in. They should rather put their efforts on improving the development experience. I have a strong feeling that the TFS plug-in is a bare minimal source control plug-in and Oracle's claim about colloboration using JDeveloper are bogus and mis-leading. May be Oracle should try to provide SOA & BPM plug-ins for Eclipse since it is a mature IDE and seems to have an improved developer's experience since Microsoft has a TFS client for it.

Thanks again for your reply.

PS
  • 3. Re: Multi-User Development In a Single Project  containing Multiple Processes
    vladodias Guru
    Is that an official response from Oracle
    If you want an official response from Oracle, please contact Oracle support...

Text bellow extracted from the forum's FAQ. This link here... https://wikis.oracle.com/display/Forums/Forums+FAQ
    Oracle Discussion Forums FAQ
    What are Oracle Discussion Forums?
    Oracle Discussion Forums is an interactive community for sharing information, questions, and comments about Oracle products and related technologies. Most forums are moderated by product managers, and all of them are frequently visited by knowledgeable users from the community. Today, Oracle Forums contain nearly 2.5 million messages about every conceivable nuance of using Oracle products or supported standards.
    Are Oracle Discussion Forums for obtaining support from Oracle?
    No; Oracle Discussion Forums are designed for peer-to-peer knowledge sharing only; people with urgent support matters should always use MetaLink. (There are rare exceptions: users of some free products, such as Oracle SQL Developer and Oracle Database XE, do in fact use Oracle Discussion Forums as their support channel.)

If each developer has to create his/her own branch, this is not a true collaboration in real time.
    If you do some research around you will notice that several projects around the world have used approaches like that... Not sure what you mean by "true collaboration in real time"... For me that sounds like developers continuously breaking each others code... Please, let me know in what tool you have been able to achieve this without branching...
    See these...
    http://gitguru.com/2009/02/18/branching-strategies-overview/
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v7r0m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.rational.clearcase.cc_proj.doc/c_bntr_plnbrstrat.htm
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/billheys/archive/2011/08/02/when-would-i-use-a-branch-for-developer-scenario.aspx

I have a strong feeling that the TFS plug-in is a bare minimal source control plug-in
    You're probably right...
    May be Oracle should try to provide SOA & BPM plug-ins for Eclipse since it is a mature IDE...
    Totally agree... I can see where you came from and I totally agree that Eclipse is a better IDE than JDEV, but unfortunately it seems that Oracle's strategy is in favour of JDEV at the moment... :(

Cheers,
    Vlad

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points