1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 7:41 PM by sb92075 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Recommended  init.ora values for PROD setup
        yxes2013
        Thanks Ed :)

Yes I choose the "multipurpose" type of database as this is always the appropriate one.

But I want to eliminate the trial and error tuning of memory because I have this given limit of 12Gb Ram anyway and I want to maximize it for the database. So whether it will be used or not
        in the database it will just be okay, as long as I am at peace that my database has all the memory it gets.
        • 16. Re: Recommended  init.ora values for PROD setup
          jgarry
          It's not trial and error. It's iterative empirical tuning.

Oracle is pretty good about figuring out the proportions of blocks that are actually being used and modified. It tends towards reading directly off disk into the PGA for some operations, so giving 500G memory to the SGA may not be the best allocation.

It's important to understand there are too many variables to say a particular configuration is the right one ahead of actual usage.
          • 17. Re: Recommended  init.ora values for PROD setup
            yxes2013
            Thanks Jq :)... why is Sb absent.

As I have said supposing I did a 1 day benchmark in the DEV server. Then I ran AWR every hour.
            Is there information I can get in the AWR report to update the PROD init.ora?
            • 18. Re: Recommended  init.ora values for PROD setup
              sb92075
              yxes2013 wrote:
              Thanks Jq :)... why is Sb absent.

As I have said supposing I did a 1 day benchmark in the DEV server. Then I ran AWR every hour.
              Is there information I can get in the AWR report to update the PROD init.ora?
              >
              if such a "solution" exists, then why wouldn't Oracle just configure the SGA automagically
              so that no DBA would have to be bothered with these details?

Might it be that a one size fits all solution does NOT exist?
              1 2 Previous Next