This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 5:50 PM by ramp RSS

how to launch a complaint on moderator?

Murray9654 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am discussing on a topic which is related to web application which we can generally discuss in j2ee forums. but a moderator EJP locked my thread. Many people post questions on struts kind of stuff and they are fine but when i am discussing about, how to deal a situation in web app i don't know, he suddenly locked my thread. is there a way to complaint on it or the moderator decision is final and we should not complaint? please guide me on this.
  • 1. Re: how to launch a complaint on moderator?
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    I find their reasoning for locking the thread to be appropriate:
    Quoting...
    This wasn't originally and has not become a JSP or JSTL question, or even a Java question, just a very general web-app question.
    Each sub-forum on this OTN forums site exists for a specific topic. That keeps the entire site from fragmenting into chaos should threads be posted in a free-for-all fashion.

how does facebook comments work? I mean if i have to do in j2ee.
    Where does the thread apply to JSP?
    Where does the thread apply to JSTL?

If you wish to ask others, then post a new inquiry to the Community Feedback forum at the top of the forum web site page. Be sure to paste a link to the locked thread if you choose to do so.
  • 2. Re: how to launch a complaint on moderator?
    Murray9654 Newbie
    before i used to see that link comunity feed back but now i dont see it. can u pate the url where i can see that link.
  • 3. Re: how to launch a complaint on moderator?
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Muralidhar wrote:
    before i used to see that link comunity feed back but now i dont see it. can u pate the url where i can see that link.
    Go to the generic forum web site:
    https://forums.oracle.com

Find the section at the very top of the page that says:
    *Technology Network Community*
    That section should be expanded out by default, but if it isn't you can readily find its contents by clicking its "plus" sign.

The Community Feedback forum is the first in that section, which makes it the very first forum of the entire OTN forums web site.
    Community Feedback and Suggestions (Do Not Post Product-Related Questions Here)
  • 4. Re: how to launch a complaint on moderator?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Muralidhar wrote:
    Many people post questions on struts kind of stuff and they are fine but when i am discussing about
    Struts at least is Java related, so it is somewhat on-topic. But every struts post I see, I advise to go look for a more appropriate forum since such questions hardly ever get a proper answer here.

As to moderation - its basically a free reign and only the moderators moderate each other. I saw nothing wrong with your post being locked, it is woefully off-topic. This forum is quite strictly moderated to keep it on the topic of Java and as much about the core APIs as possible, if you need to ask general questions try stackoverflow which is actually designed to cater to a wide variety of topics and has a user interface to properly support and manage that. If that were allowed here with the incredibly limited forum software, it would become quite a mess.
  • 5. Re: how to launch a complaint on moderator?
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    The O.P. has now posted to the Feedback forum:
    I want you to check why moderator locked my thread?
    (though I think it was before they had a chance to read the reply from gimbal2)
  • 6. Re: how to launch a complaint on moderator?
    Murray9654 Newbie
    Many people post questions on struts kind of stuff and they are fine but when i am discussing about
    Struts at least is Java related, so it is somewhat on-topic. But every struts post I see, I advise to go look for a more appropriate forum since such questions hardly ever get a proper answer here.
    So question about a web application is not relevant, after all what do you do with j2ee. Frame works are no way related to api's and a question of web application is so irrelevant. it is so strange. I have been said once in this forum that people are not here to control others, every body have their own freedom to discuss if it is related to the topic. you should have left for the members choice whether to respond on that or not. if there are no responses then it will be left anyway.

I dont know but i feel this way. This is only my opinion. Not meant to hurt others.
  • 7. Re: how to launch a complaint on moderator?
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    you should have left for the members choice ...
    If the forums were moderated that loosely, there would be questions about the efficacy of Royal Dutch Shell petroleum products in someone's Toyota vehicles...
    +... just because JavaFX coding was used in some part of the software used in that Toyota's touchscreen navigation system.+

It's all a gray area; every moderating action is done by an unpaid human volunteer using their individual best judgment, but lines have to be drawn somewhere. None of it is perfect, but it's been done well in these Java-centric forums for far longer than a decade through multiple reincarnations when hosted by Sun through to their current existence here on OTN.
  • 8. Re: how to launch a complaint on moderator?
    ramp Explorer
    While on principle the moderator was right in locking, IMHO this discussion could have been left alone. Other than maybe core java, its difficult to discuss technologies without running into product implementations. This was another variation where the topic of discussion digressed into web application solutions in general. And yet it was interesting enough and there were experienced and respected contributors responding to the thread.

The OP could have been at least warned rather than an abrupt lock. Life will always go on and this is not to offend or hurt anyone - just an opinion from someone who has been on the forums for a long time :)

regards,
    ram.