1 2 3 4 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 12:51 AM by 936666 Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
        yoonas
        Even database created with scripts should work.

1. Did you correct the path and test ?
        set TNS_ADMIN=E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\NETWORK\ADMIN
        #make sure you can open the above path in explorer and tnsnames.ora exists in the loc
        echo %TNS_ADMIN%
        sqlplus /nolog
        CONN scott/tiger@TestDB
        2. Did you try with Net Manager

3. Create a new tnsnames.ora file with tnsentry for TESTDB so that you know if there is any issue like what Richard was saying exists
        • 31. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
          I used Net configure assistant ,to reconfigure but still i am facing problem.
          I am able to run via
          C:>set orcale_sid=TestDB
          C:>sqlplus / as sysdba

Thanks!
          • 32. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
            yoonas
            sb92075      has already cleared that this type of connection " does NOT use SQL*Net".

Are you having the same issue while testing with net manager or something else , share please.

create a new tnsnames.ora and use net manager
            Check if you can see the service name under service naming (if you can not , use open network configuration and select the directory where tnsnames.ora resides)
            Test with Test service

Post the error you are getting
            • 33. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
              On opening Oracle Net manager
              It is asking for a valid encryption seed is required
              • 34. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                JohnWatson
                933663 wrote:
                I used Net configure assistant ,to reconfigure but still i am facing problem.
                I am able to run via
                C:>set orcale_sid=TestDB
                C:>sqlplus / as sysdba

Thanks!
                Once again, you are providing incorrect information. Look at what you did above:
                set orcale_sid=TestDB
                That is not the same as
                set ORACLE_SID=TESTDB
                which is presumably what you meant. You appear to be mixing reality and fiction again. You must take more care when setting environment variables. This is the third time I have had to point out a mistake.

Edited by: JohnWatson on Feb 9, 2013 12:00 PM
                • 35. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                  I could not find any difference after making
                  set oracle_sid=TestDB or
                  set ORACLE_SID=TESTDB
                  still same issue. :(
                  • 36. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                    JohnWatson
                    The trouble is, I cannot believe you. First you said TNS_NAME for TNS_ADMIN. Then you said uasrname for username. Then you said orcale for oracle. You have never demonstrated that you have corrected these mistakes. So when you say this
                    933663 wrote:
                    I could not find any difference after making
                    set oracle_sid=TestDB or
                    set ORACLE_SID=TESTDB
                    still same issue. :(
                    I have no idea what you have actually done.
                    It would seem likely that all your problems are caused by minor mistakes. These occur because you do not take sufficient care when configuring your environment. I would suggest that you go over everything (registry variables, environment variables, the Oracle Net configuration files) and start again. Then it will work. Configuring Oracle Net is simple, but precise.
                    • 37. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                      Richard Harrison .
                      Hi,
                      Remove the 2 encryption related parameters from sqlnet.ora as I don't think you'll need them. Then open up the netca again and it should let you recreate the entry for testdb. Then try it.

Harry
                      • 38. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                        Richard Harrison .
                        Hi,
                        Remove the 2 encryption related parameters from sqlnet.ora as I don't think you'll need them. Then open up the netca again and it should let you recreate the entry for testdb. Then try it.

Harry
                        • 39. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                          Richard Harrison .
                          Hi,

Harry
                          • 40. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                            Richard Harrison .
                            Hi,

Harry
                            • 41. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                              yoonas
                              >
                              It is asking for a valid encryption seed is required
                              >

Is this the message from oracle or your own?

Please read JohnWatson's points carefully and redo the setup , even simple mistake can prevent you from connecting.
                              • 42. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                                rgoold
                                Here is a candidate for the simple mistake.

In this thread you have several times referred to the file which should be called tnsnames.ora as tnsnsames.ora - with an extra s in the file name - if your file really is called that then look no further for the cause of the problem!
                                • 43. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                                  sb92075
                                  933663 wrote:
                                  I am having problem only with this particular db and not for the other database.
                                  Where as i can access my ORCL database with the same steps.
                                  Only thing with my TESTDB is that i have created the database using the Scripts and not the DBCA. I think this is causing me some problem.

Thanks!
                                  I think that if you actually knew as much as you think you did, this problem would not exist.

Oracle is too dumb to lie & it can not resolve the TNS alias.
                                  • 44. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                                    EdStevens
                                    933663 wrote:
                                    I am having problem only with this particular db and not for the other database.
                                    Where as i can access my ORCL database with the same steps.
                                    Only thing with my TESTDB is that i have created the database using the Scripts and not the DBCA. I think this is causing me some problem.

Thanks!
                                    As has been pointed up several times already, since you are not able to resolve the net service name from tnsnames.ora, the request never leaves the client. It never gets to the listener. It never gets to the database. So at this point the state of the listener, the state of the database and most certainly the method by which you created the database is 100% irrelevant. So your thought that the way you created the database " is causing me some problem" is in error.