This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 4:03 PM by Vite DBA RSS

Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3

Mark Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have installed oracle EE 11.2.0.3.

I believe APEX is isntalled with this release but it seems to be an old version as i see an apex 3_X schema.

I would like to have the latest APEX rlease installed which i believe is 4.2.

How do i proceed with this? Do I upgrade the currennt relase or do i download the 4.2 zip file and install new.

Also, i have oracle http server installed so i would like to use that for APEX. I think this is a config issue after installation.
  • 1. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    scott.wesley Guru
    Current release is 4.2.1, and the documentation suggests you run the apxins.sql regardless of version.
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/overview.htm#CEGEFBFI

Patches (such as 4.2 -> 4.2.1) can be done with a smaller file.

Check out scenario 3 for HTTP server
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/otn_install.htm#BABEGAEJ
  • 2. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Mark Newbie
    thank you. Do you know if oracle removed the Apache http server with 11gR2?

I could not find any apache or modplsql directory under ORACLE_HOME.

I know it is also bundled with a middleware product named Web Tier but it should also be licensed with database product.
  • 3. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    scott.wesley Guru
    You can find interesting licensing details here
    http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_licensing

Now that the internet is the main delivery method instead of a CD, I've noticed Oracle compartmentalising all the downloads as required.

Licensing should always be a separate consideration to how software is sourced.

Best person to talk about licensing is always an Oracle rep.

Scott
    blog: [url grassroots-oracle.com]grassroots-oracle.com
    twitter: [url twitter.com/swesley_perth]@swesley_perth

-- please mark any useful posts as helpful or correct, in the end it helps us all
  • 4. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Vite DBA Pro
    Hi Mark,

Oracle doesn't ship the HTTP server with the database anymore. It can be downloaded and installed as a stand alone product from

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/index-091236.html

It may pay to check, but the last I heard is that it can be installed without any extra licensing provided it is installed on the same server as the database, in a separate Oracle Home.

The Apex team seem to be moving away from the HTTP server and recommending the Apex listener, which is a Java appliance. It can run standalone, but is not supported in this configuration and its recommended you run it through a container such as Glass Fish or OC4J.

Regards
    Andre
  • 5. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Mark Newbie
    You mean that OHS is part of the Oracle 11g Web Tier now.
    I hope that is also licensed with the database product if you install it as a standalone product on same DB machine.

I had many problems getting clear answer from Oracle Reps. They do not seem to know answers and always try to sell things without enough knowledge.

I do not have APEX applications yet. We plan to use that. Our existing applications are in PL/SQL web toolkit and use mod_plsql and OHS.
    We currently use oracle 9i and i think HTTP server was part of the RDBMS software.
  • 6. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Vite DBA Pro
    Hi Mark,

OHS was always part of the web teir, but up until 10g, Oracle also shipped a version of OHS with the database which required no extra licencing if it was installed on the same server as the database. If it was installed on a separate server then it required separate app server licensing. I believe this is still true, but OHS is no longer shipped with the database.

As I said before though, Apex listener seems to be the preferred option now rather than OHS, so I would investigate this.

Regards
    Andre
  • 7. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Mark Newbie
    Thanks for the useful info.

To my knowledge, the bundling of OHS with web tier happened wih oracle 11g.

Do you know by any chance if oracle allows install of OHS included in web tier with the database product (same machine) license or it requires you to buy spearte license for web tier?

Would you also happen to know the lates RDBMS release that included the OHS?

As I said, APEX listener is only for APEX applications. If you have PL/SQL web toolkit applications I do not think it will work, it requires OHS/mod_plsql.
  • 8. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Mark Newbie
    I think we found the asnwer to the OHS license on oracle support site. It seems to be license with RDBMS if installed on same machine.

Note 400010.1

It states that Oracle RDBMS companion CDs no longer provide an OHS.
    Oracle database customer may use the Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g We-Tier.
    Oracle Database Server 11g media packs provide an orale fusion middleware 11g DVD for this.

I also found this licensing doc

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e14860/toc.htm
  • 9. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Vite DBA Pro
    Hi Mark.
    Mark wrote:

As I said, APEX listener is only for APEX applications. If you have PL/SQL web toolkit applications I do not think it will work, it requires OHS/mod_plsql.
    with reference to this, I've no experience with it, but from what I've read, the Apex Listener can handle non-Apex mod_plsql connections. It may be worth investigating this.

Regards
    Andre
  • 10. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Mark Newbie
    Hi Vite DBA

I will research this. Do you recall where you read this at.

My understanding was apex listener is for apex applications only.

There are couple of issues too using apex listener is that can only run inside the database so you cant separate the web server machine from DB machine.
    I think also performance wise OHS is much better and robust than apex listener.
  • 11. Re: Apex installation with Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Vite DBA Pro
    Hi Mark,
    Mark wrote:
    Hi Vite DBA

I will research this. Do you recall where you read this at.
    I did some searches on the Apex Listener forum as well as good ol' google.
    My understanding was apex listener is for apex applications only.

There are couple of issues too using apex listener is that can only run inside the database so you cant separate the web server machine from DB machine.
    The Apex listener runs completely separate to the database as a Java app, in fact there would be nothing stopping you running OHS and the Apex listener side by side with different port numbers. The only problem I would see is that the Apex Listener has more inbuilt features around web services etc that if incorporated in an app wouldn't be available when running the same app through OHS.
    I think also performance wise OHS is much better and robust than apex listener.
    I'm not speaking from personal experience, but from what I gather, there are no major performance problems with the Apex Listener. From a robustness point of view, true, the OHS is built on a very solid foundation in the Apache space, but the Apex server is now up to version 2.0 and once again I haven't heard anything too detrimental.

At least in your case I think it would be worth investigating.

Regards
    Andre

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points