1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 1:02 AM by yoonas RSS

Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11

yxes2013
      Hi All,

This is my first time to install 11gR2 on Suse and it is so traumatic :(.

Can you help me what version of SLES linux 64bit does Oracle 11gR2 is supported to run?

I have installed SLES but there are lots of missing rpms. I don't even know what version I got.
      The file given to me by the sysadmin is > SLES-11-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD1, SLES-11-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD2
      So it must be SLES 11.

Can you help me find a good documentation for installing 11gR2 on SLES?

I have lots of errors like display not set, test xclock, colors not 256. The documentation I got does not validate these..

Do I need to create oinstall group or it is mandatory?

Thanks a lot,

Yxz
        • 1. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
          Osama_Mustafa
          Please post which version of 11gr2 you want to install ? 4 digit

Oracle Database 11.2.0.2.0 is certified on Linux x86 SLES 11
          Oracle Database 11.2.0.2.0 is certified on Linux x86 SLES 10

also for documentation check
          http://bit.ly/11AQ6Zh
          • 2. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
            yxes2013
            Thanks Osama,

Is it possible SLES 11 on laptops? (DELL vostro 1520)

I was able to install it but the nic was not detected, or maybe many others things are not detected?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
              yoonas
              Hi,

Try a creating a virtual machine then
              https://www.virtualbox.org/

Regards
              Yoonas
              • 4. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                yoonas
                You could also have a look at Pre-Built Developer VMs (not on SLES though)

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html
                • 5. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                  yxes2013
                  Thanks,

So, It is not good to install SLES 11 on laptops? But only on VMs? :(

Edited by: yxes2013 on 11.2.2013 2:21
                  • 6. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                    yoonas
                    No, its not like that. If it can detect all your devices and you can continue your work without any issues, you can ofcourse use any linux flavours.
                    • 7. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                      Osama_Mustafa
                      yxes2013 wrote:
                      Thanks Osama,

Is it possible SLES 11 on laptops? (DELL vostro 1520)

I was able to install it but the nic was not detected, or maybe many others things are not detected?

Thanks
                      to do that it will be better to install virtual box, or vmware tools software on your laptop and install database and OS.
                      • 8. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                        stee1rat
                        Hey yxes2013,

You can check your SLES version with this command: cat /etc/SuSE-release

According to this page: https://www.suse.com/partners/alliance-partners/oracle/matrix.html Oracle 11g is certified for SLES. So you shouldn't have any problem installing it.

And anyway, the error messages you've mentioned aren't about installing, they're about X-graphic startup. I guess that you're connecting to the server with SLES remotely and trying to start the graphical installer, hence you have this errors. You need to set the DISPLAY variable to your machine IP address and test remote graphic with xclock utility.

Describe in details what you're doing trying to install Oracle.
                        • 9. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                          yoonas
                          You should be able to install if you follow the installation guide. Check the guide to see any special set up is needed for successfull installation
                          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/toc.htm
                          http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/homepage
                          • 10. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                            yxes2013
                            I thank you all,
                            And anyway, the error messages you've mentioned aren't about installing, they're about X-graphic startup. 
                            I guess that you're connecting to the server with SLES remotely and trying to start the graphical installer, 
                            hence you have this errors. You need to set the DISPLAY variable to your machine IP address and test remote graphic with xclock utility.
                            But the documentation I found in google does not mention about this display. Can you give me one that give details like checking the rpms reguired. the colors, the display, the group oinstall,dba etc.

Thanks a lot

Edited by: yxes2013 on 11.2.2013 17:29
                            • 11. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                              yxes2013
                              Thanks...
                              You should be able to install if you follow the installation guide. Check the guide to see any special set up is needed for successfull installation
                              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/toc.htm

I read these docs but I did not see basic steps like creating userid oracle, group, oinstall/dba, setting DISPLAY, colors etc.
                              • 12. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                                sb92075
                                yxes2013 wrote:
                                I thank you all,
                                And anyway, the error messages you've mentioned aren't about installing, they're about X-graphic startup. 
                                I guess that you're connecting to the server with SLES remotely and trying to start the graphical installer, 
                                hence you have this errors. You need to set the DISPLAY variable to your machine IP address and test remote graphic with xclock utility.
                                But the documentation I found in google does not mention about this display. Can you give me one that give details like checking the rpms reguired. the colors, the display, the group oinstall,dba etc.

Thanks a lot

Edited by: yxes2013 on 11.2.2013 17:29
                                xclock utility must succeed before OUI or dbca will work.

you need to connect to the DBServer by doing as below or the functional equivalent

ssh -X oracle@DBServer

when all is correct the DISPLAY variable will exist & support OUI.
                                • 13. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                                  yxes2013
                                  Thanks osama...
                                  to do that it will be better to install virtual box, or vmware tools software on your laptop and install database and OS.
                                  But my laptop has only 2Gb memory. Is it possible to install VM + Suse + 11gR2 on it?
                                  • 14. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on SLES 11
                                    yxes2013
                                    Thanks stree,
                                    I guess that you're connecting to the server with SLES remotely and trying to start the graphical installer, hence you have this errors. 
                                    You need to set the DISPLAY variable to your machine IP address and test remote graphic with xclock utility.

Describe in details what you're doing trying to install Oracle.
                                    Our company has bought SLES 11 license and I am task test install it + Oracle11gR2. We also plan to buy the linux server but is on the way. So I am given a laptop for test install.
                                    My dilemma is I was able to install it on the laptop, I can startup shutdown my Sles 11, but I do not know if it is complete. I understand there are some drivers not available
                                    or maybe it is in the dvd drive but I do not know what drivers I need :(. I just tried to run .runInstaller of my 11gR2 but I got lost of errors.
                                    Can you give me checklist on how to know if my SLES has all the needs for my 11gR2 to be installed?
                                    I was advised to go to the Dell Vostro 1520 website to download the drivers but I do not know what drivers should I download.

Thanks a lot
                                    1 2 Previous Next