6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 4:18 AM by rukbat RSS

Sun Microsystems v40z help?

Hello,
      I purchased this system off eBay for $50 (score!) and it booted up fine into windows server 2008 Datacentre. (bonus) I turned it off and didn't have time to set it up for about 2 weeks. Now when I turn it on the LCD display says, Main Power Off. (after it goes through all the SP stuff fine) Whenever I press the power button it used to turn on and boot up but now nothing happens. Both PSUs have power and have red blinking LEDs. (this always happened when it was off and after the SP had initialized)
      Please help!

Thank-you very much,
      Jabelone

Edited by: 987109 on Feb 8, 2013 9:29 PM
        • 1. Re: Sun Microsystems v40z help?
          Documentation for the v20Z and the v40Z has always been a bit "thin" but here's what Oracle currently has on its public site:
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.v40z/index.html
          You might want to pull down every one of the PDF documents for your own archive purposes.

I haven't glanced through any of it but perhaps you'll find something that helps inside the Installation Guide, the User Guide, or the Server Management Guide.

I have no experience with the v20Z/v40Z platform but there seems to be an independent SP, so ...
          ... perhaps some action needs to be done via that SP to additionally turn on the rest of the system.
          • 2. Re: Sun Microsystems v40z help?
            Hello,
            No mention of the keywords "Main Power Off" in any of those documents and also similar phrases. One other thing, when I turn it on it boots into the SP and that's as far as it goes, no BIOS or POST.
            Thanks
            • 3. Re: Sun Microsystems v40z help?
              I'm guessing that somewhere in the documentation there might be some information on how to work with that Service Processor (SP) to administer the rest of the chassis, including powering the systemboard on and then booting it to an OS.
              • 4. Re: Sun Microsystems v40z help?
                Ok, I will try that when I get home from school.
                THanks
                • 5. Re: Sun Microsystems v40z help?
                  Is there anyway that you can completely reset the server? Like a button or a jumper or something, so that it's just like it was pulled out of the box?
                  Because I was stuffing around with the options on the LCD screen and pressed on something like bootmon and now there is no text on the LCD screen.
                  Thanks!
                  • 6. Re: Sun Microsystems v40z help?
                    jabelone wrote:
                    Is there anyway that you can completely reset the server? Like a button or a jumper or something, so that it's just like it was pulled out of the box?
                    Because I was stuffing around with the options on the LCD screen and pressed on something like bootmon and now there is no text on the LCD screen.
                    Thanks!
                    I don't know. As I mentioned in my first reply:
                    I have no experience with the v20Z/v40Z platform.
                    You can hope someone else might choose to add a response to this thread.
                    In the meantime, go through the system documentation.