5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 5:32 PM by vladodias RSS

OSB vs SOA- which one can take max load in terms of req/resp traffic

SOAEnthusiast
      Hi,

I have few basic questions about load taking capacity of OSB and soa.
      1. Is there any oracle doc stating how much traffic OSB or SOA components(bpel, mediator etc.) can take in terms of request/response per hour with certain infrastructure?
      2. Diff in java callout in bpel and in osb?
      3. Which one is more stable product in high load situation eg. 2 lac req/resp per hour.
      4. Is there a link between number of javacallouts and performance in OSB and in SOA.

Regards,
      SOA Enthusiast.
        • 1. Re: OSB vs SOA- which one can take max load in terms of req/resp traffic
          vladodias
          Hi,

There's no simple answer for your question, and I'm afraid you're not going to find much documentation in that regard... OSB is designed to be lightweight and with a minimum overhead, for a simple use case it will probably perform better than a SOA composite with audit, monitoring, dehydration, etc... But that will depend on your requirements, hardware type, use cases, etc... There's no way to predict without getting something deployed and using a tool like jmeter to test it... As per java callouts, they shouldn't differ that much between OSB and SOA, they will be as efficient as the java code is...

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
          Vlad
          • 2. Re: OSB vs SOA- which one can take max load in terms of req/resp traffic
            SOAEnthusiast
            Thanks vladodias for your input...
            Actual requirement is to build a middleware system using either OSB or SOA Suite or both that can handle approximately 1.5Lac request within 10 mins.
            Is there any datasheet or white paper that can tell about load taking capacity of osb or volumes in terms of traffic osb can take?

Regards,
            SOAEnthusiast

Edited by: SOAEnthusiast on 09-Feb-2013 05:58
            • 3. Re: OSB vs SOA- which one can take max load in terms of req/resp traffic
              vladodias
              SOAEnthusiast wrote:
              1.5Lac request
              Not familiar with "Lac" terminology, how many requests per min are we talking about and how big are they (size of the message in Kb)?

Here's a paper on performance...
              http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/hardware-solutions/o12-045-soa-t4-tuning-1661118.pdf

Cheers,
              Vlad
              • 4. Re: OSB vs SOA- which one can take max load in terms of req/resp traffic
                SOAEnthusiast
                Thanks for the attachment. 1Lac is equivalent to .1 Million The document talks about the time OSB took to import and activate a project comprising of x number of proxy service, y number of xqueries etc. but doesn't talk about stress load stats like if it can handle say 2Million records per hour or so.
                If there is stats like this then please share.

My actual business case: To build a middleware system comprising of approximately 25 proxy services, 15 business services, 30+ xqueries,10 java callouts,5 database jca callouts. And should be able to handle around 1 Million requests/response coming and going out of osb restful proxy service accepting json, converting it in xml and calling business service after transformation to call external system and vice-versa during response journey within 10-15 mins during peak hours. This proxy service internally calls other proxy services involving java callouts and db callouts. Messages size would be appx 500kb size.
                Can OSB alone handle this or will require SOA Suite in combination to perform well?

Thanks once again for all the info and help you have provided

Regards,
                Saurabh

Edited by: SOAEnthusiast on 12-Feb-2013 09:46
                • 5. Re: OSB vs SOA- which one can take max load in terms of req/resp traffic
                  vladodias
                  Hi Saurabh,

Interesting challenge... As I said before it's unlikely you will find stats as you want, this type of study is very particular to a use case, platform and infrastructure... There's no generic magical number...

I can say that OSB is lightweight and scalable and I would be surprised if it would become a bottleneck if running in a well dimensioned hardware... The bottleneck is typically at the external system... I also believe that if you add SOA Suite in the picture you will be adding overhead rather than enhancing performance, you should add SOA Suite if you need capabilities like audit, traceability, recovery and so on that you won't have with OSB alone... There's an old study on the link bellow but I'd doubt it would apply for your case, but may be helpful anyway...
                  http://biemond.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/osb-esb-performance-comparison.html

Dimensioning hardware is always a challenge... I recommend you to write a typical service and a worst scenario service and use a tool like jmeter to test how much throughput you can get from your infrastructure... Java callouts and complex xml transformation processing are points to be highlighted... Use a clustered OSB topology so you can easily add new nodes if needed...

Cheers,
                  Vlad