This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 10:45 AM by Mihael RSS

Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog

Christian Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hey, my controlfile is increasing really fast. So I have to recreate the the controlfile on a regular basis. Its growing nearly 150 MB in one month.
Therefore the backups are getting slow, also a logswitch is impacting my database performance. I am using a physical standby so the db parameter archive_lag_target is set to 600 (sec), so every 10 minutes a logswitch occurs.

v$controlfile_record_section is showing archivelogs are the most space consuming part.

Now the question:

Is it an appriopate way to switch from controlfile to rman catalog ? Will this help me to keep the controlfile tiny ?

Chris
  • 1. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    Acooper Explorer
    Is it an appriopate way to switch from controlfile to rman catalog ?

I would create and start using an rman catalog.

Will this help me to keep the controlfile tiny ?

It will help, what do you consider tiny?

You can also change CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B13789_01/server.101/b10755/initparams027.htm

Known RMAN Performance Problems [ID 247611.1]
  • 2. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    ursusca Explorer
    RMAN always stores some backup/restore information in the control file. A control file only keeps backup records for a maximum period of time (default is 7 days). You can extend this (CONTROL_FILE_KEEP_TIME) which will grow the controlfile, but using an RMAN catalog you can retain the same backup/recovery data as long as you have storage, and no catalog performance issues. RMAN catalog will help to reduce your controlfile size only if you need to keep long history of your backups.

Edited by: ursusca on Feb 12, 2013 2:26 PM
  • 3. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    Christian Newbie
    record_keep_time is already set to 4 days - changing this parameter some months ago, didn´t had an effect of the growing.
  • 4. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi Christian,
    Why is the size of the controlfile a problem for you?

There are other points to keep in mind if you use controlfile or rman catalog.
    For example if you would like to use standby databases so Oracle recommend to use an rman catalog.

For me it is not a problem of the size it is your decision to make a matrix and look about the pros and cons
    between controlfile and rman catalog.

But if it is a production environment it is a good idea to use a rman catalog.

regards
    SPA2
  • 5. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    Mihael Pro
    Christian wrote:
    record_keep_time is already set to 4 days - changing this parameter some months ago, didn´t had an effect of the growing.
    See      "Why Are Controlfile Entries For Archived Logs Not Overwritten After CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME?" [ID 1056085.1]
  • 6. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Is it an appriopate way to switch from controlfile to rman catalog ? Will this help me to keep the controlfile tiny ?
    For the purpose of your requirements, there is no "switch". It will not keep the controlfile "tiny". The rman catalog will be in addition to the controlfile. The controlfile will always be updated with information about archivelogs and backups. Retention in the controlfile is controlled by controlfile_record_keep_time.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 7. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    Christian Newbie
    Hey, the problem with a big controlfile is, that my performance is going down.
    A command like: List archivelog all;

takes up to 5 minutes, before the list appears - in the meanwhile the process load is going up.
  • 8. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    EdStevens Guru
    Christian wrote:

takes up to 5 minutes, before the list appears - in the meanwhile the process load is going up.
    When was the last time you did
    rman> crosscheck archivelog all;
    rman> delete noprompt force expired archivelog all;
    rman> backup archivelog delete all input;
  • 9. Re: Controlfile vs. RMAN Catalog
    Mihael Pro
    Christian wrote:

You can create new control file and register there all required backups and logs.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points