This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 4:42 AM by 574584 RSS

SQL Developer Stopped Working

574584 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I had been using sqldeveloper-3.2.20.09.87 in my machine(windows 7 enterprise 32 bit) for the last 2 weeks. I was able to log in to the database and query succesfully. I used to double click the sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper.bat file to open the application.
However this is stopped working from today. A black(batchfile) window appears and vanishes. All i could read from that was -Xmx640M: illegal argument.

I even tried reinstalling and downloading a lowerversion of sqldeveloper. But the issue remains the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Biju Radhakrishnan
  • 1. Re: SQL Developer Stopped Working
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

Rather than run the bat file, click on the sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe file. It will open a console window that will stay open so you can see any other error messages. You didn't recently remove Java from your system?

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team

Edited by: Gary Graham on Feb 12, 2013 2:16 PM
    Removed post meant for another thread. Sorry for any confusion.
  • 2. Re: SQL Developer Stopped Working
    574584 Newbie
    Thanks Gary for the inputs.

I had been using the bat file because when I click the sqldeveloper.exe i get an error saying "MSVCR71.dll is missing ...... Try Reinstalling the program." How ever by using the bat file it used to work fine.
    Regardig Java, I dont think it has been removed from my machine. More over I had downloaded the (SQL developer with JDK) version.

Thanks
    Biju Radhakrishnan
  • 3. Re: SQL Developer Stopped Working
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Biju,

Since the goal is to keep your CMD console window open in order to see any displayed errors, I guess I should have said...
    1. Open a CMD console window.
    2. Change directory to <SQLDEV_HOME>\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin, where <SQLDEV_HOME> is the tool's install directory.
    3. Next run either .\sqldeveloper.bat or .\sqldeveloper.exe from the console.

Workaround MSVCR71.dll is missing by placing a copy in <SQLDEV_HOME>\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin. If you downloaded the 32-bit version of SQL Developer with the JDK included, you can find that dll in <SQLDEV_HOME>\sqldeveloper\jdk\jre\bin.

Hopefully any additional errors you see will prove more enlightening than -Xmx640M: illegal argument, which does not really make much sense to me.

-Gary-
  • 4. Re: SQL Developer Stopped Working
    574584 Newbie
    Thank You Gary...

I copied and placed the dll file in the bin folder and its working now....!

Once again Thanks a lot...

Biju Radhakrishnan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points