This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2013 4:24 AM by 997468 RSS

Troubling Managed server (unable to start)

OBYYS Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi
I use WebLogic Server Version: 10.3.5.0,
I want to setup both my ADMINISTRATION SERVER and MANAGED SERVER as windows service so as to start automatically when the system is switched on.... After configuring the scripts and installing them, only the Admin server works and functions well... but the Managed server doesnt work or startup. I have tried all solutions i could find in the OTN FORUM but the problem still persists.....Below are the contents of the script for the two servers. Please any one with any suggestion should help me out.

ADMIN SERVER

SETLOCAL
set DOMAIN_NAME=OBYYSDOMAIN
set USERDOMAIN_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\OBYYSDOMAIN
set SERVER_NAME=OBYYSADMIN
set WL_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\wlserver_10.3
set PRODUCTION_MODE=true
set –Dweblogic.client.socket.ConnectTimeout=500
set MEM_ARGS=-Xms512m –Xmx512m
call "C:\Oracle\Middleware\wlserver_10.3\server\bin\installSvc1.cmd"
ENDLOCAL

MANAGED SERVER

echo off
SETLOCAL
set DOMAIN_NAME=OBYYSDOMAIN
set USERDOMAIN_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\OBYYSDOMAIN
set SERVER_NAME=OBYYSMAN
set PRODUCTION_MODE=true
set –Dweblogic.client.socket.ConnectTimeout=500
set WL_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\wlserver_10.3
set ADMIN_URL=http://OBI-PC:7001
set MEM_ARGS=-Xms40m -Xmx250m
call "C:\Oracle\Middleware\wlserver_10.3\server\bin\installSvc2.cmd"
ENDLOCAL

I created two backup copies of the WL_HOME\server\bin\installSvc.cmd master script, of which installSvc1.cmd (for Admin server) i included -delay:120000,
while installSvc2.cmd (for Managed server) i included -depend:"beasvc OBYYS_DOMAIN_OBYYSADMIN" -delay:120000
  • 1. Re: Troubling Managed server (unable to start)
    Peter.Lorenzen Explorer
    Hi,

You should only use one Windows Service. This will start the Node Manager. The Node Manager will start the Admin Server and all the Managed Servers that has been configured for the Node Manager.

Have you configured a Machine in the Admin Console and added the Admin Server and the Managed server to it?

Have a look at this post:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/jamesbayer/entry/weblogic_nodemanager_quick_sta

By the way maybe try to get the Node Manager working without using the Windows Service first. Eg. start the Node Manager manually via [MW_HOME]\wlserver_12.1\server\bin\startNodeManager.cmd

Regards Peter

Edited by: Peter Lorenzen . on Feb 12, 2013 9:39 PM

Edited by: Peter Lorenzen . on Feb 12, 2013 9:46 PM
  • 2. Re: Troubling Managed server (unable to start)
    OBYYS Newbie
    thanks for your reply Peter, let me check it out..... will get back to you.
  • 3. Re: Troubling Managed server (unable to start)
    OBYYS Newbie

• 4. Re: Troubling Managed server (unable to start)
    Ramprakash Arun Newbie
    OBYYS,

try this one for configuring Node Manager in windows,

http://weblogicissuesolutions.blogspot.in/2011/04/nodemanager-setup-and-weblogic-startup.html
  • 5. Re: Troubling Managed server (unable to start)
    OBYYS Newbie
    ok Arun...
  • 6. Re: Troubling Managed server (unable to start)
    OBYYS Newbie
    Hi,
    I have done evrything the webpage u directed me says perfectly alright.. i can now access the console automatically after system booting (The Admin server is started as windows service)… but in the console the Node Manager/Machine configured for it remains inactive… I don’t really knw the reason for this…. I viewed the log from Node Manager directory and this is what I get

<Mar 3, 2013 9:29:57 AM> <INFO> <Loading domains file: C:\Oracle\MIDDLE~1\WLSERV~1.3\common\nodemanager\nodemanager.domains>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:24 AM> <INFO> <Loading identity key store: FileName=C:/Oracle/MIDDLE~1/WLSERV~1.3/server\lib\DemoIdentity.jks, Type=jks, PassPhraseUsed=true>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:25 AM> <INFO> <Loaded node manager configuration properties from 'C:\Oracle\MIDDLE~1\WLSERV~1.3\common\nodemanager\nodemanager.properties'>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:28 AM> <INFO> <OBYYSDOMAINS> <OBYYSADMINS> <Automatically restarting server process as part of crash recovery>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:29 AM> <INFO> <OBYYSDOMAINS> <OBYYSADMINS> <Rotated server output log to "C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\OBYYSDOMAINS\servers\OBYYSADMINS\logs\OBYYSADMINS.out00032">
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:29 AM> <INFO> <OBYYSDOMAINS> <OBYYSADMINS> <Server error log also redirected to server log>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:29 AM> <INFO> <OBYYSDOMAINS> <OBYYSADMINS> <Starting WebLogic server with command line: C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\OBYYSDOMAINS\bin\startWebLogic.cmd >
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:29 AM> <INFO> <OBYYSDOMAINS> <OBYYSADMINS> <Working directory is 'C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\OBYYSDOMAINS'>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:29 AM> <INFO> <OBYYSDOMAINS> <OBYYSADMINS> <Rotated server output log to "C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\OBYYSDOMAINS\servers\OBYYSADMINS\logs\OBYYSADMINS.out00033">
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:29 AM> <INFO> <OBYYSDOMAINS> <OBYYSADMINS> <Server error log also redirected to server log>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:30:29 AM> <INFO> <OBYYSDOMAINS> <OBYYSADMINS> <Server output log file is 'C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\OBYYSDOMAINS\servers\OBYYSADMINS\logs\OBYYSADMINS.out'>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:39:39 AM> <INFO> <Secure socket listener started on port 5556, host OBI-PC/127.0.0.1>
    <Mar 3, 2013 9:44:28 AM> <WARNING> <Uncaught exception in server handlerjavax.net.ssl.SSLKeyException: [Security:090482]BAD_CERTIFICATE alert was received from OBI-PC - 127.0.0.1. Check the peer to determine why it rejected the certificate chain (trusted CA configuration, hostname verification). SSL debug tracing may be required to determine the exact reason the certificate was rejected.>
    javax.net.ssl.SSLKeyException: [Security:090482]BAD_CERTIFICATE alert was received from OBI-PC - 127.0.0.1. Check the peer to determine why it rejected the certificate chain (trusted CA configuration, hostname verification). SSL debug tracing may be required to determine the exact reason the certificate was rejected.
         at com.certicom.tls.interfaceimpl.TLSConnectionImpl.fireException(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.interfaceimpl.TLSConnectionImpl.fireAlertReceived(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.record.alert.AlertHandler.handle(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.record.alert.AlertHandler.handleAlertMessages(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.record.MessageInterpreter.interpretContent(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.record.MessageInterpreter.decryptMessage(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.record.ReadHandler.processRecord(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.record.ReadHandler.readRecord(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.record.ReadHandler.readUntilHandshakeComplete(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.interfaceimpl.TLSConnectionImpl.completeHandshake(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.tls.record.ReadHandler.read(Unknown Source)
         at com.certicom.io.InputSSLIOStreamWrapper.read(Unknown Source)
         at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:264)
         at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:306)
         at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:158)
         at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:167)
         at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:136)
         at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)
         at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)
         at weblogic.nodemanager.server.Handler.run(Handler.java:71)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

I am running a production environment and already set these in the Nodemanager.properties file,
    Keystores=CustomIdentityandCustomTrust
    CustomIdentityAlias=mykey
    CustomIdentityKeystoreFileName=C:/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/mydomain/cert/myidentity.jks
    CustomIdentityKeystorePassPhrase=******
    CustomIdentityKeystoreType=jks
    CustomIdentityPrivateKeyPassPhrase=******

but still I keep getting the error and the Machine in the console shows Inactive.
    Please any solution…

Edited by: OBYYS on Mar 3, 2013 11:53 AM
  • 7. Re: Troubling Managed server (unable to start)
    997468 Explorer
    Hi,

Error pasted comes when SSL certificate configuration not properly done for NM. The entries from nodemanager.properties file you have shows is missing custom trust entries. Check if you have covered below steps while configuring SSL for NM (also it is good to have plain socket NM running if weblogic domain is not a front-end server, it will simply resolve the issue you are getting now :)).

Configuring jks with weblogic:

1. Login to admin console
         2. Navigate to servers>[server_name]>Configuration>Keystores
         3. Select Custom Identity and Custom Trust and provide below details:

-Custom Identity Keystore: <Location of identity.jks>
         -Custom Identity Keystore Type: jks
         -Custom Identity Keystore Passphrase:#######
         -Confirm Custom Identity Keystore Passphrase:######
         -Custom Trust Keystore: <Location of trust.jks>
         -Custom Trust Keystore Type: jks
         -Custom Trust Keystore Passphrase:######
         -Confirm Custom Trust Keystore Passphrase:########

4. Then click on SSL tab next to Keystores and provide values for below parameters:

-Private Key Alias: mycert
         -Private Key Passphrase: #####
         -Confirm Private Key Passphrase: ####

5. Then enable SSL port for that particular weblogic server by navigating servers>[server_name]>Configuration>General

Also provide Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) in Listen Address field.

6. Save and activate changes.

CONFIGURING NODE MANAGER

Modify nodemanager.properties file. Insert the following lines at the end:

KeyStores=CustomIdentityAndCustomTrust
         CustomIdentityKeystoreType=jks
         CustomIdentityKeyStoreFileName=<Location of identity.jks>
         CustomIdentityKeyStorePassPhrase=#####
         CustomTrustKeystoreType=jks
         CustomTrustKeyStoreFileName=<Location of trust.jks>
         CustomTrustKeyStorePassPhrase=######
         CustomIdentityAlias=mycert
         CustomIdentityPrivateKeyPassPhrase=######

NOTE: Make sure SecureListener is set to true which is already present in this file. Also mention Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) in ListenAddress field which is
         blank by default.

DISABLING HOSTNAME VERIFICATION
    If you are using self-signed certificate then follow below steps to disable hostname verification.

Navigate to servers>[server_name]>Configuration>SSL
         Click on advanced
         Make Hostname Verification NONE
         Save and activate changes.
         Repeat these steps fore all servers in domain for which self signed certs are configure

Add nodemanager parameter "-Dweblogic.nodemanager.sslHostNameVerificationEnabled=false" in nodemanager startup script. If it is configured as a service then add entry in service startup file.

Thanks,
    Ranjan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points