This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 9:11 PM by BillyVerreynne RSS

rename asm instance in RAC

Sahar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
ClusterWare 11.2.0.3 + RAC db same version .
I need to rename one of the ASM instances

How can this be done ?

the situation is as follows , I needed to take one of the server out of the cluster and then bring him back in .
when I have added him , he got a new ASM instance name (was ASM1 now it got ASM3 , 2 node rac) ,

thanks

S.
  • 1. Re: rename asm instance in RAC
    asahide Expert
    Hi,

How about follows.
    <<http://oracleappsdba.wordpress.com/2008/08/26/rename-asm-instance-in-rac/>>

Regards,
  • 2. Re: rename asm instance in RAC
    Sahar Newbie
    HI,
    i have seen this already ,
    I am looking for a way to do this in a rolling manner
    meaning not to shutdown the whole cluster but node after node while there is always one node up an running with an active db instance

thanks

S.
  • 3. Re: rename asm instance in RAC
    fjfranken Expert
    Sahar wrote:
    HI,
    i have seen this already ,
    I am looking for a way to do this in a rolling manner
    meaning not to shutdown the whole cluster but node after node while there is always one node up an running with an active db instance

thanks

S.
    That is not possible !!

That is like renaming a file system with a database running on it.
    It's like "I want to replace the wheels of my car, but I want to keep driving while doing it..."

How would you ever imagine that this would work, when the "changed" node comes back online and starts interacting with the node still running?
  • 4. Re: rename asm instance in RAC
    ursusca Explorer
    I'm not 100% sure about doing it online but I think, it's possible. What if a node in a RAC is corrupted or failed. We can delete a node from a cluster and add a new node.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e16795/adddelunix.htm
  • 5. Re: rename asm instance in RAC
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Sahar wrote:

ClusterWare 11.2.0.3 + RAC db same version .
    I need to rename one of the ASM instances
    No you don't. Supply reasons and justification for wanting to changes the SID of an ASM instance,
    the situation is as follows , I needed to take one of the server out of the cluster and then bring him back in .
    when I have added him , he got a new ASM instance name (was ASM1 now it got ASM3 , 2 node rac) ,
    So? What is wrong with an instance called +ASM3 in a 2 node RAC? How does that now reduce and impair cluster functionality?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points