10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 9:18 AM by Nicolas.Gasparotto RSS

PIA - the application server is down

user584098
      Hi,

Getting the error -

The application server is down at this time. CHECK APPSERVER LOGS. THE SITE BOOTED WITH INTERNAL DEFAULT SETTINGS, ...

I've checked the posts that have previously been by users but have had no luck!

PT 8.53 with ELM 9.1 - wins 2008, sql 2008, everything is running on a single server.

Appserver is up and I can login via application designer. No errors in the log, likewise no errors when I run startPIA.cmd

site url is http://oracleELM/psp/ps etc no port number required in the URL

configuration .properties has the following entry

psserver=OracleELM:9000

there's no assperver entry, is this correct?

Settings for the domain
      WSL port :7000
      JSL Port: 9000

Thanks for your help!
        • 1. Re: PIA - the application server is down
          HakanBiroglu
          Webserver cannot connect to appserver on OracleELM port 9000

Guessing this is a local sandbox, so you can for force the appserver to start on 127.0.0.1 instead of the network ipaddress.

open your hosts file and add the following line

127.0.0.1 localhost OracleELM

or even better, first open a command prompt and type ipconfig. Use this ip address that in your hosts file, for example

10.10.10.10 OracleELM

after modifying your hosts file, bounce both appserver and webserver.
          • 2. Re: PIA - the application server is down
            user584098
            Hi,

Tired that, still no luck. Any other suggestions, things I need to check?

Thank you
            • 3. Re: PIA - the application server is down
              user584098
              Full message this time, bit different

The application server is down at this time

CHECK APPSERVER LOGS. THE SITE BOOTED WITH INTERNAL DEFAULT SETTINGS, BECAUSE OF bea.jolt.APpplicationException: TPESVFAIL - application level service failure

Thanks, much appreciate all the help you can give

Edited by: user584098 on Feb 13, 2013 9:46 AM
              • 4. Re: PIA - the application server is down
                HakanBiroglu
                What does your hosts file like look now?

What is defined in the appserv.cfg for the jolt address, %PS_MACH% or OracleELM?

When you start the appserver what do see as the last process being started, meaning which ip address or machine name do you see?

Can you ping OracleELM?

Your issue is that the application server (Jolt) is being started on an ip address, but the webserver is trying to connect to another ip address for Jolt.

PeopleBooks (appserver config)
                Address
                %PS_MACH% resolves automatically to the machine name that PSADMIN obtains by using a system application programming interface (API) call.

You can easily check this by running netstat -an in a command prompt and search for port 9000 and see which ip address it is listening on.
                When you start PIA using startPIA.cmd you can see which ip address it is trying to connect to on port 9000.

Solutions:
                - Use static ipaddress
                - modify hosts file
                - use DNS
                - etc

Actually basic network tweaking ...
                • 5. Re: PIA - the application server is down
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  user584098 wrote:
                  site url is http://oracleELM/psp/ps etc no port number required in the URL
                  PIA deployed on port 80 ?

Nicolas.
                  • 6. Re: PIA - the application server is down
                    HakanBiroglu
                    One more thing that can be incorrect is the password for the PTWEBSERVER in configuration.properties file.

During database setup you had to supply the password of PTWEBSERVER.

During PIA install you also had to supply the user PTWEBSERVER and the password.

These two have to match.
                    • 7. Re: PIA - the application server is down
                      user584098
                      Hi - Firstly thanks for your help on this.

I have checked the host file and Ping OracleELM fine. Likewise netstat is showing the correct IP for the port 9000. PIA is deployed on port 80.

Following your suggestion I checked the PTWEBSERVER password issue. In the asspserv log I have in fact this error

SAPPSRV.1872 (20) [2013-02-14T13:37:25.543 GetCertificate](1) (NET.502): PTWEBSERVER@OracleELM is an Invalid User ID, or you typed the wrong password. User ID and Password are required and case-sensitive. Make sure you're typing in the correct upper and lower case.

I did try and resolve this by copying the encrypted password from the OPERPSWD field in the PSORDEFN table for the user PTWEBSERVER user.

But I still get the same error.

In my configuration.properties I have following entries

webuserid=PTWEBSERVER
                      webPassword= the password I copied from above.

Still no luck!!

Thanks for your assistance!!
                      • 8. Re: PIA - the application server is down
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        user584098 wrote:
                        I did try and resolve this by copying the encrypted password from the OPERPSWD field in the PSORDEFN table for the user PTWEBSERVER user.
                        In my configuration.properties I have following entries

webuserid=PTWEBSERVER
                        webPassword= the password I copied from above.
                        The password encryption algotithms are not the same for the PSOPRDEFN and the configuration file. They do not produce the same encrypted password for the same password.
                        I would suggest first to put the password in clear in configuration.properties. By default it is PTWEBSERVER.

Nicolas.
                        • 9. Re: PIA - the application server is down
                          user584098
                          Excellent!

Thank you both for your help. The password I used during DB install worked. It's strange though this password is not eight characters in length, as required by PIA during install.

Edited by: user584098 on Feb 14, 2013 6:05 AM
                          • 10. Re: PIA - the application server is down
                            Nicolas.Gasparotto
                            user584098 wrote:
                            ...It's strange though this password is not eight characters in length, as required by PIA during install.
                            Do you mean that you defined a PTWEBSERVER's password with less than 8 chars during database setup ?
                            Interestingly, the Peopletools 8.53 Peoplebooks does not say anything about PTWEBSERVER at all during database setup task:
                            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E38689_01/pt853pbr0/eng/pt/tadm/task_UsingtheDatabaseSetupUtility-077aea.html#portletsFrame

And right, the PIA user's password is 8 chars min. - as said in the Peopletools installation guide -, but not a word about this in Peoplebooks :
                            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E38689_01/pt853pbr0/eng/pt/tprt/task_ConfiguringWebProfiles-c07441.html#UnderstandingWebProfiles-c07442__SpecifyinganInitialWebProfile-c07443

Hmmm, looks like a bug to me. Both should have the same constraints.

Nicolas.

PS: I think the Peoplebooks about Database Setup needs to be revisited anyway, application server user/password is also missing.

Edited by: N Gasparotto on Feb 14, 2013 4:16 PM