This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2013 11:53 PM by LaurenzAlbe RSS

Initial Instant Client Install

990960 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've downloaded the latest instant client, Version 11.2.0.3.0, unzipped it - but cannot get it to install. There is no setup/install executable or batch file. What do I run to get it installed?

I have no /Oracle directory, or installed Oracle products on my laptop.

I'm running Windows 7, 32 bit.

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    asahide Expert
    Hi,

To my Understanding,
    Instant Client does not need to be installed via .exe ..

Regards,
  • 2. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    990960 Newbie
    Then, is unzipping it enough to connect to an Oracle db? It doesn't have an oracle_home or a TNS names file.
  • 3. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    asahide Expert
    Hi,

You add PATH env and can use EZCONNECT.
    If you want to use tnsnames.ora, then use TNS_ADMIN env.

Regards,
  • 4. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    990960 Newbie
    I appreciate the help, but unfortunately I didn't understand the last reply. I need to put tnsnames.ora somewhere - I don't have an /Oracle directory. Where will tnsnames.ora go? Eventually, I will install PeopleTools - and it too will look for an /Oracle directory, correct?

I may be getting confused. The main question - what do I have to install, and how do I it, to get PeopleTools (an Oracle product) working with tnsnames.ora to connect to a networked db (I've been already setup on a VPN and can access PeopleSoft through a web browser, but need to use PeopleTools.)
  • 5. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    asahide Expert
    Hi,

Follow link may help you.
    <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/win.112/e10845/ap_net.htm#i634336>>
    I don't have an /Oracle directory. Where will tnsnames.ora go?
    You can put in any directory.

what do I have to install, and how do I it, to get PeopleTools (an Oracle product) working with tnsnames.ora to connect to a networked db
    1. unzip package
    2. Put C:\oracleinstantclient directory, ex.
    3. Put your tnsnames.ora file to same directory
    4. Set Path C:\oracleinstantclient and set TNS_ADMIN C:\oracleinstantclient

Regards,
  • 6. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    990960 Newbie
    Thanks, I'll try this and let you know how it goes. Tom
  • 7. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    992337 Newbie
    Is there anyone out there who speaks non-geek? I am trying to install Instant Client and ODBC Client on a Win 7 machine. I extracted both zip files to the same directory. I named it C:\Oracle Instant Client\instantclient_11_2\
    Since there isn't an install file for Instant Client I clicked on odbc_install.exe. The questoin box came up and said do I really want to istall this and I clciked RUN. The screen flashed for a split-second and nothing furhter happened. But it did seem to create an Oracle directory under Program Files directory.

this is the most unnecessarily difficult program I have ever tried to install.

Am I even getting close to having this installed? If not can someone please, in a step by step process a two year old could follow, tell me what to do next? Thank you
  • 8. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    992337 Newbie
    Is there anyone out there who speaks non-geek? I am trying to install Instant Client and ODBC Client on a Win 7 machine. I extracted both zip files to the same directory. I named it C:\Oracle Instant Client\instantclient_11_2\
    Since there isn't an install file for Instant Client I clicked on odbc_install.exe. The questoin box came up and said do I really want to istall this and I clciked RUN. The screen flashed for a split-second and nothing furhter happened. But it did seem to create an Oracle directory under Program Files directory.

this is the most unnecessarily difficult program I have ever tried to install.

Am I even getting close to having this installed? If not can someone please, in a step by step process a two year old could follow, tell me what to do next? Thank you
  • 9. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    ha*412974*m1 Newbie
    Hi, Were you able to make it to work? If so, please put details. I'm trying to install the same as you.
    Thanks.
  • 10. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    989334 wrote:
    Am I even getting close to having this installed? If not can someone please, in a step by step process a two year old could follow, tell me what to do next?
    I guess I cannot comply with that request, since Oracle software is not designed to be installed by two-year-olds (and I have two of those at home, so I know what I'm talking about).

I grant that the installation instuctions provided by Oracle are minimal, they are probably supposted to emphasize how simple it is (compared to installing any other Oracle product).
    Here they are: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-100365.html#Package%20Description
    It is really just unzipping the software and configuring the environment.

The ODBC driver needs special installation steps (the exexutabe you started), but that is described
    in the file ODBC_IC_Readme_Win.html in the ODBC driver download.

To connect to an Oracle database, you must understand a little of Oracle Net configuration.
    There are a few hints here:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16604/apd.htm#sthref3167
    The complete story is here:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e10836/toc.htm

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe
  • 11. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    714692 Newbie
    I can sympathise. Oracle does not use standard Windows setup.exe programs. Instead you have to download the zip file from the oracle web site and unzip it somewhere. There are no instructions or readme.txt in there. So you have to do a Google search to try and find installation instructions. If you succeed at that, it is then a matter of doing a very non-standard thing, creating environment variables. Few windows users know how to do that, or even have permission to do so in a corporate environment.

You also have to have a tnsnames.ora file. Where does that come from? There is no simple way of creating one, and it's structure is complex. In the old days Oracle provided both an installation program and a net setup program which installed the product and built the tnsnames.ora file. Why have they abandoned this practice?
  • 12. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    I don't say that I don't understand the complaint, but installing Oracle is complicated, no less with Universal Installer than with a ZIP file.
    It is not a task for an end-user, and an administrator should know how to set environment variables.

You don't need a tnsnames.ora file if you use different naming methods, e.g. Easy Connect.

I agree with you is that installing and configuring Oracle is too complicated.

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe
  • 13. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    1013035 Newbie
    big corporations like oracle don't give anything away "for free". if they say "its free", then there is usually a hidden catch somewhere. in this case, although the software "is free", the information that's needed to install it is withheld.

they probably want you to spend £2000 going a 3-day course to learn how to install it.

that's one of the ways that big corporations like oracle make the money that pays for larry's jets.

Edited by: user10085404 on Jun 5, 2013 8:53 AM

Edited by: user10085404 on Jun 5, 2013 8:54 AM
  • 14. Re: Initial Instant Client Install
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    user10085404 wrote:
    big corporations like oracle don't give anything away "for free". if they say "its free", then there is usually a hidden catch somewhere. in this case, although the software "is free", the information that's needed to install it is withheld.

they probably want you to spend £2000 going a 3-day course to learn how to install it.

that's one of the ways that big corporations like oracle make the money that pays for larry's jets.
    I feel weird at defending the Evil Empire (number 2), but most of the information is contained in the
    Documentation, which is accessible without payment (let's avoid the word "free").
    And I've yet to see an Oracle course for installing Instant Client.

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points