2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 5:44 PM by VANJ RSS

Bind variable notation or set_session_state

VANJ
      APEX 4.2.1

Use case: During page processing, use user input on form controls rendered using the apex_item API to set session state for a page and then branch to that page. Normally, this is done using the f?p=...:10:P10_X:1 to clear cache for Page 10 and set the value for P10_X as specified. Of course, apex_application.g_fXX cannot be used in the f?p= URL so I created a process that does
      apex_util.clear_page_cache(10); :P10_X := apex_application.g_f01(1);
      followed by a branch that does a redirect to page 10.

To my surprise, P10_X was not set when page 10 was rendered. As if the clear_page_cache() was executed after the assignment to P10_X. But navigating away from the page and then back to it suddenly shows the value previously set. Or something like that, very weird. Simply changing the assignment to use
      apex_util.set_session_state('P10_X',apex_application.g_f01(1))
      fixes the issue.

Over the years, I have been involved in Session state not set until process completes? htmldb_util.set_session_state not working with Scott Spadafore about the semantics of session state maintenance, when it is updated and such, but I am still unsure as to when, if ever, to use bind variable notation to set session state vs apex_util.set_session_state. If we can live with the fact that set_session_state does a immediate COMMIT, I don't see any benefit to using bind variable notation at all. Is that a valid conclusion to draw?

Thanks