This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 7:36 PM by 972355 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    972355 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    what OS command is issued to create, see, or modify OS_role ?

Yes. Good catch ..
  • 16. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    Please post copy & paste proof concerning OS_roles.
    >
    That wouldn't be possible even if an OS had roles (which they don't) since you haven't bothered to provide what OS you are even talking about?

What is is in the Oracle doc that you disagree with or don't understand?
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/dba006.htm
    >
    OSDBA and OSOPER
    Two special operating system groups control database administrator connections when using operating system authentication. These groups are generically referred to as OSDBA and OSOPER. The groups are created and assigned specific names as part of the database installation process. The specific names vary depending upon your operating system and are listed in the following table:

Operating System Group UNIX User Group Windows User Group
    OSDBA dba ORA_DBA
    OSOPER oper ORA_OPER
    >
    Did you notice the first sentence mentions 'operating system groups'?

Oracle roles correspond to the OS groups.
  • 17. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    972355 Newbie
    From your answers i got  valid points ,

1) There is no os_roles

2) There is no Oracle DB groups.

3) OSDBA and OSOPER are OS GROUPS that are required to administrative SYSDBA and SYSOPER privilige
    when using Operating system authentication.

Please  reply  ( if  my understanding is wrongly )
  • 18. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    3) OSDBA and OSOPER are OS GROUPS that are required to administrative SYSDBA and SYSOPER privilige
    >
    No - there are two groups that are required but they do not have to have those names. See the doc I referred you to.
    >
    The default names assumed by the Oracle Universal Installer can be overridden.
  • 19. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    sb92075 Guru
    969352 wrote:
    From your answers i got  valid points ,

1) There is no os_roles
    correct

>
    2) There is no Oracle DB groups.
    correct

>

Please  reply  ( if  my understanding is wrongly )
    can you post COPY & PASTE proof regarding OSDBA
  • 20. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    972355 Newbie
    ok . now i am clear.

Shall i ignore ?

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Linux/LINUX_22.shtml

*Create oracle User and Directories  [topic]*

Here , described few things about Oracle_group(dba) and os_group (osdba)
  • 21. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    sb92075 Guru
    969352 wrote:
    ok . now i am clear.

Shall i ignore ?
    you need to learn to validate what you read by testing what is written against how OS or DB actually behaves.
  • 22. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    rp0428 Guru
    You seemed to want the technically correct answer and not the 'what should I use' answer so I gave you the technically correct answer. The groups do not HAVE to have those names.

But unless you have some reason you should use the default names suggested.
  • 23. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    972355 Newbie
    I am getting bit confused ,  please little explanation

OSDBA and OSOPER are OS GROUPS

No - there are two groups that are required but they do not have to have those names. See the doc I referred you to.

The default names assumed by the Oracle Universal Installer can be overridden.
  • 24. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    OSDBA and OSOPER are OS GROUPS
    >
    You can't take half of the sentence and use it. You need to read the ENTIRE QUOTE from the documentation
    >
    Using Operating System Authentication
    This section describes how to authenticate an administrator using the operating system.

OSDBA and OSOPER
    Two special operating system groups control database administrator connections when using operating system authentication. These groups are generically referred to as OSDBA and OSOPER. The groups are created and assigned specific names as part of the database installation process. The specific names vary depending upon your operating system and are listed in the following table:

Operating System Group UNIX User Group Windows User Group
    OSDBA dba ORA_DBA
    OSOPER oper ORA_OPER

The default names assumed by the Oracle Universal Installer can be overridden. How you create the OSDBA and OSOPER groups is operating system specific.

Membership in the OSDBA or OSOPER group affects your connection to the database in the following ways:

•If you are a member of the OSDBA group and you specify AS SYSDBA when you connect to the database, then you connect to the database with the SYSDBA system privilege.

•If you are a member of the OSOPER group and you specify AS SYSOPER when you connect to the database, then you connect to the database with the SYSOPER system privilege.

•If you are not a member of either of these operating system groups and you attempt to connect as SYSDBA or SYSOPER, the CONNECT command fails.
    >
    It is really very simple. You have to have two groups. As the doc says the 'LOGICAL' group names are OSDBA and OSOPER. The default 'PHYSICAL' group names that will be used for those two groups are depend on the OS: dba and oper for Linux, ORA_DBA and OPR_OPER for windows.

And also, as the doc says, those 'default names assumed by the Oracle Universal Installer can be overridden.
  • 25. Re: Understanding OS roles and group_names
    972355 Newbie
    Thanks sb and rp. I got valid information's.

I got answer.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points