This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 2:29 AM by anbarasan RSS

Table to Excel download

anbarasan Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,
I have table select * from LOGS ...here having total count 8,345,765...this All data need to download to .XLSx/Xls file...
Please give me the steps for this....
  • 1. Re: Table to Excel download
    Karthick_Arp Guru
    check the FAQ {message:id=9360007}
  • 2. Re: Table to Excel download
    Paul Horth Expert
    anbarasan wrote:
    Hi All,
    I have table select * from LOGS ...here having total count 8,345,765...this All data need to download to .XLSx/Xls file...
    You can't. The maximum number of rows in Excel is ~1 million.

Why would you want to do this anyway? Is a human going to look through 8 million rows in a spreadsheet???

What is the business reason?
  • 3. Re: Table to Excel download
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    Hi Paul,

actually the maximum number of rows for every sheet, even in Excel 2010 is still 65,536 (64K).

Power Pivot has a feature to allow to pivot information from a source having 1m+ rows but the number of rows per sheet did not change.

So I wonder why the OP wants to export in Excel such a big amount of rows.

Regards.
    Al
  • 4. Re: Table to Excel download
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    anbarasan wrote:
    Hi All,
    And how are you going to handle this?
    Excel can handle a maximum of 65,536 rows in an Excel sheet: Excel specifications and limits

Regards.
    Al
  • 5. Re: Table to Excel download
    anbarasan Newbie
    yes,that fine...is it have steps..to do download the data to excel..i have tried using SQLDEVLOPER...Export to excel..got st-rucked up...
    Please give me any other way or steps..
  • 6. Re: Table to Excel download
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    Did you read my post?

Excel can have a maximum of Excel 64K rows per sheet!!

Why are you trying to create an XLS file with a higher number of rows?

Regards.
    Al
  • 7. Re: Table to Excel download
    anbarasan Newbie
    Hi
    i said..fine...asking if 10 lak .also need to download means...could you give me the steps for this...
  • 8. Re: Table to Excel download
    Paul Horth Expert
    Alberto Faenza wrote:
    Hi Paul,

actually the maximum number of rows for every sheet, even in Excel 2010 is still 65,536 (64K).

Power Pivot has a feature to allow to pivot information from a source having 1m+ rows but the number of rows per sheet did not change.

So I wonder why the OP wants to export in Excel such a big amount of rows.

Regards.
    Al
    No, see http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/excel-specifications-and-limits-HP010342495.aspx

Worksheet size      1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns
  • 9. Re: Table to Excel download
    Paul Horth Expert
    anbarasan wrote:
    Hi
    i said..fine...asking if 10 lak .also need to download means...could you give me the steps for this...
    I ask again, what is the business reason? What is lak? That's not International English.
  • 10. Re: Table to Excel download
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    Paul  Horth wrote:

No, see http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/excel-specifications-and-limits-HP010342495.aspx

Worksheet size      1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns
    Ooppss.
    Sorry I misunderstood the info from MS web site. They were referring to Excel 2003 and not Excel 2010.
    My apologies.

Regards.
    Al
  • 11. Re: Table to Excel download
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    anbarasan wrote:
    Hi
    So do you want to create an Excel file that Excel cannot read?
    Is that your business logic? I'm a bit confused.

Regards.
    Al
  • 12. Re: Table to Excel download
    anbarasan Newbie
    Hi,
    Don't get confusion....simple thing...if we need to download..small huge records from table to excel....need steps for this..
  • 13. Re: Table to Excel download
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    anbarasan wrote:
    Hi,
    Don't get confusion....simple thing...if we need to download..small huge records from table to excel....need steps for this..
    Instead of just writing with one sentence, why don't you spend some more time explaining which are exactly your requirements?

Infos have been already posted above (link to FAQ) about how to write an Excel file. This is quite e a frequent question.
    But still I don't understand if you expect to export more than 1M rows. In this case your Excel file become completely unuseful.

I'm getting confused simply because I don't understand what you want to do with an Excel file having more than 1M rows, actually even 64K rows if you want to load in a version prior to Excel 2010.
    Could you just explain this?

Regards.
    Al
  • 14. Re: Table to Excel download
    Paul Horth Expert
    anbarasan wrote:
    Hi,
    What? small huge records? Is that the same as little large ones? :-)

You originally said you wanted to load about 8 million rows into Excel. We said it can't be done. What do you want to do? How many rows?

You still haven't answered why you want to do it.

If you want to go ahead with less than 1 million rows - did you bother reading Karthick's reply?

Also, please make the effort to mark your threads as answered (if they have been) - this helps the forum - as does asking clear questions
    and giving information when asked for it.

>
    Handle:      anbarasan
    Status Level:      Newbie
    Total Posts:      264
    Total Questions:      88 (77 unresolved)
    Name      anbarasan
    Location      india
    >

Edited by: Paul Horth on Feb 14, 2013 10:06 AM
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points