This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 2:03 AM by Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) RSS

UEK2 and ASM/ACFS shouldn't be so difficult

zsysdba Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are running Oracle 11g Grid Infrastructure (GI) on Oracle Linux 5 x86_64. To pass security audits, we must apply the latest patches every quarter. This includes both Oracle Linux patches and Oracle database patches. Linux patches and Oracle database patches are applied in the same maintenance window.

We utilize the ACFS feature of 11g GI. ACFS requires a kernel module to match the installed kernel so we must carefully choose our kernel to match what ACFS supports. It has been 10 months since the release of UEK2 and yet the January GI PSU (GI 11.2.0.3.5 PSU Patch 14727347), still does not include support for UEK2. Lenz Grimmer stated a nine month grace period for UEK on Oracle's Linux Blog dated Mar 13 2012. Here is the quote.

+"Now that the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel Release 2 has been released, we will continue to provide support for Release 1 of the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (2.6.32) in the form of critical bug fixes and security errata for another 9 months. However, new hardware enablement (e.g. by providing device driver updates) will now only be made available through the quarterly updates of Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel Release 2 on the Unbreakable Linux Network. During this grace period, we encourage all customers to switch to Release 2."+

I have reviewed My Oracle Support article ID 1369107.1 - ACFS Supported On OS Platforms.

It looks like the only way to run ACFS on UEK2 is to utilize the October GI PSU (14275572) and then apply Patch 12983005 on top of it to get UEK2 support.

I don't want to be a quarter behind on my patch levels and also have an extra patch to apply just because I want to use ACFS with UEK2. Ultimately I just want to run yum update along with the latest database PSU once a quarter.

What is the best way to express my dissatisfaction with this scenario and encourage the database team to start supporting UEK2 directly via the GI PSU quarterly process?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points