This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 4:43 AM by EdStevens RSS

Reg. Database carshing

Bobby468 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everybody,

i Want to learn how to crash a database and how to restore a crashed database like sql or sql server . Can anybody help regarding this

thanks,

best regards,
bobby
  • 1. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Bobby468 wrote:
    Hi everybody,

i Want to learn how to crash a database and how to restore a crashed database like sql or sql server . Can anybody help regarding this

thanks,

best regards,
    bobby
    Always post database version and OS version , First sql server products related to microsoft , this forum related to oracle , you can make your own simluation by rename the datafiles and redo log , or move them to another location and restore database , also delete them . but just make sure you take backup for database using rman.
  • 2. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    Bobby468 Newbie
    The version for oracle is oracle 10g

and for sql server is 2008

os is windows
  • 3. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    As i told you, you can rename , delete or move the files , but make sure you take backup first , and do not do that on production database
  • 4. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    Bobby468 Newbie
    can u expalin em clearly because i dont know that
  • 5. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Use "+sqlplus / as sysdba+" to sign on to the database. Issue the command "+drop table dual purge;+". Shutdown the database.

Try to start the database. It should fail to open and crash.

Now restore the database from backup using rman.

Make sure that an existing and usable backup exist though.
  • 6. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    Bobby468 Newbie
    can u tell me how to take the backup for a database
  • 7. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    it's also nice Idea billy ,

just follow both steps by me or billy and try to restore using rman which clarify you want ?
  • 8. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

Please check below googling, you can find restore recover example

Regard
    Helios
  • 9. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    EdStevens Guru
    Bobby468 wrote:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/toc.htm
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/toc.htm

=================================================
    I don't want to be flippant or rude, but if people want to be professionals in ANY field, the first knowledge they need to acquire is how to locate AND USE+ the fundamental reference materials for that profession. And the most important trait, the one for which they are really hired, is the ability to do independent research, and having a modicum of curiosity that would drive one to do that research. We don't mind helping newbies, and even the most experienced person on this board will run into something they are not familiar with, or occasionally just require a second set of eyes to look at something. But a professional+ needs, above all, a willingness and capability to check the docs. A professional isn't necessarily someone who has all the answers at their fingertips or has a full understanding about every arcane subject in their field. It certainly isn't someone who has an encyclopedia full of memorized answers but little understanding of how it all fits together. It's someone who knows where to find the answers when needed, how to recognize them when he sees them. It's less about knowing than it is about attitude. Everything you asked can be answered in the Oracle Concepts Manual at tahiti.oracle.com. You should bookmark that site.
    =================================================
    Learning how to look things up in the documentation is time well spent investing in your career. To that end, you should drop everything else you are doing and do the following:

Go to [url tahiti.oracle.com]tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab (for 10.x) or the "Master Book List" link (for 11.x) you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
    - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
    - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
    - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
    - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

=================================
  • 10. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    EdStevens Guru
    Bobby468 wrote:
    You don't know how to rename a file?
  • 11. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    EdStevens wrote:
    Bobby468 wrote:
    You don't know how to rename a file?
    I would suggest the OP should do one of two things at this point:

1) Step away from the database and get some training
    2) If you're going to plough ahead, make sure that at every single point you can triple-check that you are NOT on a Production system.
  • 12. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Bobby468 wrote:
    You are a Windows user?

There are many things in computer technology that cannot be done using a dumbed down WIMP interface, where you simply have to click a shiny button for magical things to happen.

Backup and restore are one of these that needs a recovery strategy, a proper understanding of how to achieve it, and the technical knowledge to implement it.

It is not a simple matter of clicking some button and automagically have a database backup.

Read carefully what Ed posted. Sounder advice than that, you are unlikely to find .
  • 13. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    Justin_Mungal Journeyer
    EdStevens wrote:
    Bobby468 wrote:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/toc.htm
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/toc.htm
    [snipped]
    Nice post Ed. I was thinking about advising newcomers to the field to study relational theory before even studying the Oracle manuals. Something like, "Database in Depth: Relational Theory for Practitioners." Perhaps that way they can see the forest for the trees a little better. Maybe I'm asking too much though.

-Justin
  • 14. Re: Reg. Database carshing
    JohnWatson Guru
    EdStevens wrote:
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.
    In some parts of the world, I learnt a third option:
    Give a man a fishing rod, and he breaks it up for fire wood.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points