2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 6:13 AM by User477708-OC RSS

Ms access linked table via oracle

User477708-OC
      Defintely more on the access side of the fence but hoping someone may have seen it. logged it on an access forum and didnt get anything back.

Machine A
      win XP
      32 bit
      10g oracle client
      Linking a table over odbc, 3 million rows, about 1gb in size.
      open the table in access 2007 and it opens immediately (which is basically doing a select * from table), Im guessing its cached the set locally and is only displaying the first x rows while it brings in the rest which is how it can open immediately (sub second).

Machine B
      win 7
      64 bit
      11g client.
      All same DSN buffer settings as above.
      table takes 60-70 seconds to open, Oracle wait event "sql net to client"

why not caching? I'm thinking driver but cant get 10g client on to win 7 to see is it that.
        • 1. Re: Ms access linked table via oracle
          asahide
          Hi,
          why not caching?
          Sorry, I don't know..
          I'm thinking driver but cant get 10g client on to win 7 to see is it that.
          If you have support contract, You can get 10.2.0.5 client that is supported on Win7x64.
          <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/relnotes.102/b15680/toc.htm>>
          • 2. Re: Ms access linked table via oracle
            User477708-OC
            and is sometimes the way, I got the answer not 5 minutes after posting. I had initally compared the DSNs but it turns out they werent the same. I was comparing the 32 bit version to a 64 bit version

access only uses a 32 bit DSN, I edited the DSN and compared it to the fast one and there was one setting which differed,
            I enabled "Bind timestamp as DATE" and for no reason I can think of which would cause access to then cache results quicker, my linked table now opens immediately