2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 6:13 AM by oralicious RSS

Ms access linked table via oracle

oralicious
      Defintely more on the access side of the fence but hoping someone may have seen it. logged it on an access forum and didnt get anything back.

Machine A
      win XP
      32 bit
      10g oracle client
      Linking a table over odbc, 3 million rows, about 1gb in size.
      open the table in access 2007 and it opens immediately (which is basically doing a select * from table), Im guessing its cached the set locally and is only displaying the first x rows while it brings in the rest which is how it can open immediately (sub second).

Machine B
      win 7
      64 bit
      11g client.
      All same DSN buffer settings as above.
      table takes 60-70 seconds to open, Oracle wait event "sql net to client"

why not caching? I'm thinking driver but cant get 10g client on to win 7 to see is it that.
        • 1. Re: Ms access linked table via oracle
          asahide
          Hi,
          why not caching?
          Sorry, I don't know..
          I'm thinking driver but cant get 10g client on to win 7 to see is it that.
          If you have support contract, You can get 10.2.0.5 client that is supported on Win7x64.
          <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/relnotes.102/b15680/toc.htm>>
          • 2. Re: Ms access linked table via oracle
            oralicious
            and is sometimes the way, I got the answer not 5 minutes after posting. I had initally compared the DSNs but it turns out they werent the same. I was comparing the 32 bit version to a 64 bit version

access only uses a 32 bit DSN, I edited the DSN and compared it to the fast one and there was one setting which differed,
            I enabled "Bind timestamp as DATE" and for no reason I can think of which would cause access to then cache results quicker, my linked table now opens immediately