6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 4:40 AM by UserMB RSS

Report  dont get presentation variable value if displayed  as link

UserMB
      hello
      i have a dashboard promt for 2 dates, with 2 presentation variable, PV_start and PV_end
      i have a report that has a filter for the date column : is between variable PV_start and PV_end
      when i place the report on dashboard ( on the same page as dashboard promt) and select option: display results as embedded in dashboard, then the values of the presentation variables get passed through to the report and the report gets filtered properly
      when i place the report on the dashabord and select option: display result - as link within the dashboard, then the values of the presentation variables DO NOT get passed through to the report;
      is this normal and expected behaviour of OBI or am i missing some steps?
      obi version 10.1.3.2.1
      thx
      rgds
        • 1. Re: Report  dont get presentation variable value if displayed  as link
          Srini VEERAVALLI
          I dont think its normal behavior, the same works for me.
          Presentation variable values are passing to link.

If helps mark let me know for issues
          • 2. Re: Report  dont get presentation variable value if displayed  as link
            UserMB
            hello
            thank you for your reply
            well, its still not working in my dashboard

ill explain what i did in details
            i created the dashboard prompt with 2 columns:
            formula fx on the 1st column is:
            CASE WHEN 1=0 THEN CAST(Time.Year AS CHAR) ELSE 'YEAR_START' END 
            i assinged to it presentation variable PV_YEAR_START, and gave it a label: "YEAR_START"

for the column2 i did the same except i named it YEAR_END i.e.
            formula fx on the 1st column is:
            CASE WHEN 1=0 THEN CAST(Time.Year AS CHAR) ELSE 'YEAR_END' END 
            i assinged to it presentation variable PV_YEAR_END, and gave it a label: "YEAR_END"

i set both columns to default values which are derived with some sql query:
            SELECT Time.YEAR saw_0 FROM "SA_X" ORDER BY saw_0
            i placed the prompt on the dashboard, it gets displayed correctly

i made a report, where i put the filter on the columnd Time.YEAR to:
            Time.YEAR IS BETWEEN @{variables.PV_YEAR_START}{2011}  AND @{variables.PV_YEAR_END}{2012} 
            when i place the report on dashboard and display results as embedded in dashbaord, the filter is applied correctly i.e. the presentation variables as populated in the dashboard prompt get passed through to report;
            when i place the report on dahsbaord and display results as link in dashboard, then the presentation variables in the report are empty (default values are taken)

any ideas what is wrong with that set up then?
            thx
            rgds
            • 3. Re: Report  dont get presentation variable value if displayed  as link
              Srini VEERAVALLI
              Looks like you are making complex... any way.
              make sure Time.YEAR is int type
              since @{variables.PV_YEAR_START}{2011} or presentation variable returns char type
              or else use cast to int as cast(@{variables.PV_YEAR_START}{2011} as int)
              • 4. Re: Report  dont get presentation variable value if displayed  as link
                UserMB
                hello
                thank you for your reply
                my filter in the report now looks like this:
                Time.YEAR BETWEEN CAST(@{variables.PV_YEAR_START}{2011}  AS INT) AND CAST( @{variables.PV_YEAR_END}{2012} AS INT)
                unfortunately it made no difference

btw: how can i achieve then the dashboard prompt for 'between' operator , if the way im proceeding is 'complicating simple things' ?
                id appreciate tip on that then;
                what im trying to achieve is a possiblity to set the start year and end year for the report that will have a filter 'between'
                thx
                rgds
                • 5. Re: Report  dont get presentation variable value if displayed  as link
                  Srini VEERAVALLI
                  In the prompt for 'Operator' select 'Is Between' for Year column.
                  Do not use presentation variables.

Edited by: Srini VEERAVALLI on Feb 14, 2013 10:22 AM
                  • 6. Re: Report  dont get presentation variable value if displayed  as link
                    UserMB
                    hello
                    we do require presentation variables.

i logged the call at oracle, and the reply i received is that this is a bug in our version
                    so should work fine when we upgrade to more recent version
                    thank you for your answers
                    rgds