This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2013 5:26 AM by GiuseppeL RSS

Confused about licensing

GiuseppeL Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I arrived here one month ago by APEX, and started to study a little more Oracle. Before, I only knows about Oracle as a great database, but all his ecosystem was unknown for me.

One month later studying APEX (I like it), seems like ADF is the bid of Oracle for Businness applications. I downloaded JDevelopr and I will start to study it from tonight.

But there are some thing I don't understand very well.

AFAIK, there are like 2 versions. Essentials and "another". If I understood correctly, with Essentials, I can develop, and deploy to my customers for free. With "another" I need licenses and an application Server (WebLogic I suppose).

My doubts are:
1.- Could be possible to use Essentials with Oracle XE and deploy cheap applications to little customers without licenses fees? What are the limits of Essentials version?
2.- What Application Servers are available with the "another" version of ADF? This question is to see licenses fee to estimate how much an application could cost in licenses for my customers if Essentials/XE is not enough.

Regards.
  • 1. Re: Confused about licensing
    Blueberry Coder Journeyer
    GiuseppeL wrote:
    My doubts are:
    1.- Could be possible to use Essentials with Oracle XE and deploy cheap applications to little customers without licenses fees? What are the limits of Essentials version?
    2.- What Application Servers are available with the "another" version of ADF? This question is to see licenses fee to estimate how much an application could cost in licenses for my customers if Essentials/XE is not enough.

Regards.
    Hi.

It is indeed possible to use Essentials, GlassFish and Oracle XE to deliver a completely free solution. Essentials offers nearly all ADF features, the exceptions being: Oracle ADF Mobile, Oracle ADF Desktop Integration, Oracle ADF Security, The Oracle ADF Web service data control, Oracle ADF remote taskflows, Oracle ADF Business Component’s Service Interfaces, Oracle ADF Data Controls for BI, Essbase  and BAM, Integration with Oracle Fusion Middleware features such as MDS, OPSS, OWSM, Enterprise Manager and MBeans, High Availability and Clustering. Source: official FAQ, found here.

Don't forget Oracle XE will only support up to 11 GB of data; in addition, it will use a single CPU core and 1GB of Ram. This means is doesn't scale very well. You could use Oracle MySQL as an alternative. This is supported by ADF, although you loose some optimizations specific to Oracle Database.

The « full » version of ADF is currently certified on Oracle WebLogic Server and IBM WebSphere Application Server. The ADF licence is bundled with WebLogic and must be bought separately for WebSphere.

Best Regards,

Frédéric.
  • 2. Re: Confused about licensing
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE
    Most of your questions are answered here
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/adfessentialsfaq-1837249.pdf

In general you are right.
    The 'another' version uses mostly weblogic or webshere as server.

Timo
  • 3. Re: Confused about licensing
    GiuseppeL Newbie
    Blueberry Coder wrote:
    GiuseppeL wrote:
    My doubts are:

Regards.
    Hi.

It is indeed possible to use Essentials, GlassFish and Oracle XE to deliver a completely free solution. Essentials offers nearly all ADF features, the exceptions being: Oracle ADF Mobile, Oracle ADF Desktop Integration, Oracle ADF Security, The Oracle ADF Web service data control, Oracle ADF remote taskflows, Oracle ADF Business Component’s Service Interfaces, Oracle ADF Data Controls for BI, Essbase  and BAM, Integration with Oracle Fusion Middleware features such as MDS, OPSS, OWSM, Enterprise Manager and MBeans, High Availability and Clustering. Source: official FAQ, found here.
    Interesting. Most important thing I suppose hehehe.
    Don't forget Oracle XE will only support up to 11 GB of data; in addition, it will use a single CPU core and 1GB of Ram. This means is doesn't scale very well. You could use Oracle MySQL as an alternative. This is supported by ADF, although you loose some optimizations specific to Oracle Database.
    I know about the limitations of XE. The customers I plan to deploy my apps with XE are 3/4 users max without too much requeriments. A simple invoice & orders management application with a mobile app to query and enter new data.
    For this reason, for this kind of customers, if I add licenses fees, I can't compete against other software

My intentions, is to develop over Oracle Technology, fitting little customers, but with possibilities to scale if bigger customers comes to me.

>
    The « full » version of ADF is currently certified on Oracle WebLogic Server and IBM WebSphere Application Server. The ADF licence is bundled with WebLogic and must be bought separately for WebSphere.
    Weblogic is expensive for my current customers, and If licenses are "Oracle TopLink and Application Development Framework", being 10 licenses min. we speak about 950€/customer (if not more than 10), for a "simple" application, with a companion mobile app.

Seems like I will continue my APEX learning. lol
  • 4. Re: Confused about licensing
    GiuseppeL wrote:
    Blueberry Coder wrote:
    >
    Interesting. Most important thing I suppose hehehe.
    Not really. You have everything you need in ADF Essentials to build rich and easy-to use Web applications. The toolset includes:

- Oracle ADF Faces Rich Client Components – a set of over 150 JSF components that simplify the creation of rich Web user interfaces. Also included are the ADF Data Visualization Tools.
    - Oracle ADF Controller – an extension of the JSF controller with a focus on building complete reusable process flows and the ability to create dynamic regions with changing content in Web pages.
    - Oracle ADF Binding – a layer that provides a simplified way to connect user interfaces to business services through metadata abstraction layer.
    - Oracle ADF Business Components – a layer that simplifies developing business services against relational databases by providing declaratively-configured, reusable components that implement common design patterns.

What is not included mostly covers integration with other Fusion Middleware products. But, as I said, you have all the tools you need to build great web apps.

Frédéric.
  • 5. Re: Confused about licensing
    GiuseppeL Newbie
    I can't, for example, create native Mobile Applications, but web applications can have mobile interface?

Is essentials comparable in feaures with apex as is?
  • 6. Re: Confused about licensing
    You cannot create mobile applications that you would deploy on a phone, but you can build pages with special components that will render properly in mobile browsers.

As far as I know, ADF Essentials' feature set is wider that APEX's, and is more flexible as a framework. On the other hand, this added flexibility comes at the price of a higher level of complexity. Both are good tools; which one to choose depends on your skill set and functional requirements, among other things.

Frédéric.
  • 7. Re: Confused about licensing
    GiuseppeL Newbie
    And APEX can run directly over Oracle, while ADF needs another server running....

Although web services ar not included in essentials is possible anyway to use it directly with Java or something I guess.
  • 8. Re: Confused about licensing
    GiuseppeL Newbie
    One ore thing.

If I develop a mobile app, thath communicate with an ADF web app (via webservices, plain text files, rest, etc..) is enough if I have the licenses? Or every customer needs to have the license to use this mobile app?

Is possible Desktop apps swing with essentials?

Edited by: GiuseppeL on 15-feb-2013 8:52
  • 9. Re: Confused about licensing
    GiuseppeL Newbie
    >
    Is possible Desktop apps swing with essentials?
    Ok, seems like the answer is no: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/components-1844931.html

Edited by: GiuseppeL on 15-feb-2013 8:56
  • 10. Re: Confused about licensing
    The ADF Mobile FAQ states this:

ADF Mobile is licensed as part of the Oracle Application Development Framework (ADF).  Oracle ADF can be licensed either as “Oracle Application Development Framework and TopLink” item on the technology price list, or as part of the Oracle WebLogic licenses.

A named user plus license of ADF will entitle customer a single named user license of the ADF Mobile.  A processor license of ADF will allow customer to deploy ADF Mobile-based application to an unlimited number of devices.

Basically, you need to buy an ADF licence or a WebLogic licence to use ADF Mobile. If you buy a processor license, you can then support an unlimited number of devices.

Best Regards,

Frédéric.
  • 11. Re: Confused about licensing
    GiuseppeL Newbie
    Thanks.

Fr the moment is not crucial for us this feature, although looks very interesting.

Web services, restful, and so on,is possible with essential but with third party true?

Regards.
  • 12. Re: Confused about licensing
    You can use the web services facilities found in Java Enterprise Edition with ADF Essentials. This is fully supported by the JDeveloper IDE, by the way.

Best Regards,

Frédéric.
  • 13. Re: Confused about licensing
    GiuseppeL Newbie
    Thanks.

I'm liking very much ADF, looks a very "cool" and productive framework.

There are much possibilities I will afford my next project over it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points