3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 2:27 PM by jgarry RSS

Oracle Version

Karthick_Arp
      Wouldn't it be a nice option to mandate the posters to specify the oracle version while they post a question or reply to a question in sql and plsql forum. So that we can exactly know in which version the code has been run by the poster.

Thanks,
      Karthick.
        • 1. Re: Oracle Version
          riedelme
          I dunno. Some forums are compeletely irrelevant to Oracle versions (like this one!), and I'm wary of more "improvements" to OTN.

Might be a good idea, though. l I'm just undecided for the above reasons.

Edited by: riedelme on Nov 10, 2008 6:49 AM
          • 2. Re: Oracle Version
            EdStevens
            Karthick_Arp wrote:
            Wouldn't it be a nice option to mandate the posters to specify the oracle version while they post a question or reply to a question in sql and plsql forum. So that we can exactly know in which version the code has been run by the poster.

Thanks,
            Karthick.
            Suggested before and pretty much rejected due to multiple reasons.

Let me suggest another reason never before brought up. If a user was required by the software to select a check box or drop list or some other required checkpoint they'd just blindly accept that as a 'required field' with no further thought. On the other hand, if they get called out by other members of the community, they should start to gain an understanding that "oh, yeah, if I want people to help me, they need certain information." It's what in other educational contexts I refer to as "the hidden agenda." Put the student through what appears to be a less efficient process toward what they believe is the goal, when the real goal is to gain a certain understanding that comes only by going through that "less efficient" process. And often that understanding is about something totally unrelated to what the student thought he was doing.

Yeah, I know I'm dreaming. As SB often says, "you can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think."

And yet I continue to try to craft most of my responses in the technical forums toward increasing understanding over knowledge.
            • 3. Re: Oracle Version
              jgarry
              The "hidden agenda" doesn't work so well when you have extremely literal people with Asberger's, as the fourth wall of a computer screen seems to make otherwise intelligent people. Clear goals and explicit instructions work better, even if the issue is to get them out of their bad twitterish habits.