12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 3:07 PM by Prabhas RSS

Running a Report Script outside EAS

ptooks
      I have some users who would like to run a predefined report script by themselves. Is there a way to do this without giving them access to EAS? Running 11.1.2 , ASO

Thanks,

Paul
        • 1. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
          sunil k
          One option would be to create a mxl script and a wrapper DOS batch file - provide the batch file to the user so that he/she can run whenever required

You have to ensure that essmsh is installed on the local machine of user - you can do that by installing ESSBase client

Other options would be to develop some custom program using APIs.

Regards,
          Sunil
          • 2. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
            Prabhas
            If it is standard report script,Why don't you prepare a Excel Template and share it to them for retrieving the data...?
            • 3. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
              ptooks
              The report extract is over 100,000 rows and can not realistically be retrieved from an Excel template. I have been unable to run the report thru either Maxl or EssCmd - apparently, you can not perform columnar export on an ASO cube? Is this correct? There must be a way to run this report outside EAS?
              • 4. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                Prabhas
                ptooks wrote:
                The report extract is over 100,000 rows and can not realistically be retrieved from an Excel template. I have been unable to run the report thru either Maxl or EssCmd - apparently, you can not perform columnar export on an ASO cube? Is this correct? There must be a way to run this report outside EAS?
                I have a question to all..Is it possible to assign particular report to project in Shared service and assign it to the user? So that user can access from Workspace rite?

Is this possible please let me know...I have minimal knowledge on shared services & Workspace.
                • 5. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                  TimG
                  Correct on the (lack of) columnar export from ASO, Paul. But you can certainly run a report through MaxL and ESSCMD - what specific problem are you encountering there?

Prabhas - better to start a new thread as your own question.
                  • 6. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                    ptooks
                    Thanks TimG - I'm under the assumption I can not run this particular report script (as written, with columns) using Maxl or EssCMD - please confirm?
                    If so, are there any other options besides giving the user EAS access?

Edited by: ptooks on Feb 15, 2013 10:46 AM
                    • 7. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                      TimG
                      Paul, I apologize if I'm being slow here but I don't follow. If you have written a report script (i.e. a file that contains report writer commands like <ROW, <COLUMN etc) that you can run from EAS, you can always also run it from MaxL.

In case this is where the confusion is coming from, there is no limitation on running a report script containing columns against an ASO database; you just can't run the full native export in column format. Although 'native' exports and report scripts are both fired by running the same basic MaxL command (export...) they are very different beasts.
                      • 8. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                        ptooks
                        TimG - this is what I'm getting:

Command export database 'PL_TEST'.'GES' using server report_file'FcstLcl' to data_file 'test.rpt'
                        Statement executed with warnings.
                        Invalid Report Specification [supshare]
                        Database export completed ['PL_TEST'.'GES']
                        Output columns prepared: [0]

I need the report to come out the same as in EAS console- is there something I can tweak in the report script?, is my Maxl statement incorrect? - or am I SOL?

Thanks,

Paul
                        • 9. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                          TimG
                          Command looks good (I doubt you'd get as far as you do if it wasn't)... ...and this exact same report script runs without error in EAS? I'm really surprised this doesn't work.

Did you check whether or not you got anything in test.rpt?

When you specify supshare I assume you just have a line in the report script that says "<SUPSHARE", right?
                          • 10. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                            ptooks
                            Guess this is why you are an expert - found the file (looks good) So now is it just a matter of creating a .bat file to run the Maxl statement - then give my users the access to run the .bat file? Thanks again - Paul
                            • 11. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                              TimG
                              No problem, and yes - that's it, assuming that they have MaxL installed properly locally (as per a few posts back).

Probably worth finding out why that warning is being thrown though, even if you are getting the data you expect.
                              • 12. Re: Running a Report Script outside EAS
                                Prabhas
                                Try this if u want to run a .bat file for a user....create a shared folder in the server and copy the .bat file over there...and ask ur admin to give access for particular folder to the user...Once user get mapped thru network driver...I hope he can run the .bat file thru command prompt..

Edited by: Prabhas on Feb 16, 2013 2:37 AM