This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 3:10 PM by JanN RSS

Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users

991247 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Friends,

Need one help from you guys. We are in the process of launching our project based on Oracle APEX 4.2 to a group of around 3000 users.

I have 2 doubts in this:

+ Is their any limitation to the maximum users accessing a particular application ? If No, then is Oracle APEX scalable to more than 50,000 users ?

+ In case if 3000 users or more access a particular application concurrently, does it impact the performance or downgrade of application speed?

Your answers are required and would be highly appreciable.

Thank you very much,
Srikumar S
  • 1. Re: Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users
    scott.wesley Guru
    AskTom is a good sample - I've seen a few presentions over time describing visit stats, but this is best I saw today after quick search
    http://tkyte.blogspot.com.au/2005/04/birth-of-asktom.html

It's designed to be a scalable application, so I guess it depends on your db server and/or application server?
  • 2. Re: Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users
    991247 Newbie
    Thank you pal. Let me have a look at whatever you have sent.

Srikumar S
  • 3. Re: Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users
    991247 Newbie
    Scott >> Saw the link which you sent. There is no mention of how Oracle APEX scalability is.
    Although, the corporate's website itself says

** Oracle ApEx is scalable enough to be used by a small team of people all the way up to many thousands **

But, i still wanted to be sure of the count. We dont want to get stuck in the middle of a project and say that it might not be scalable to more than 20,000 to 30,000 users.

Anyways, your post was helpful.

Thanks,
    Srikumar S
  • 4. Re: Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users
    scott.wesley Guru
    Put it this way, apex.oracle.com runs on a box that ain't that big - and it's the same box that runs asktom.

There should be a few Oracle powerpoints out there with exact figures on user numbers.
  • 5. Re: Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users
    fac586 Guru
    >

Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "user13491590".
    Need one help from you guys. We are in the process of launching our project based on Oracle APEX 4.2 to a group of around 3000 users.

I have 2 doubts in this:

+ Is their any limitation to the maximum users accessing a particular application ?
    No.
    If No, then is Oracle APEX scalable to more than 50,000 users ?
    It depends.
    + In case if 3000 users or more access a particular application concurrently, does it impact the performance or downgrade of application speed?
    It depends.

APEX itself has almost no impact on application performance or scalability. This has everything to do with what the application does and how it does it, the database and web server software and configuration, and the hardware and network infrastructure it's running on. You haven't provided any information about this.

What will this project do?

Why have you decided to use APEX?

What kind of data is involved, and how much of it is there? How will it grow?

What database version, edition and configuration will you use?

What web server(s) will you use? How many?

Where do these figures of 3000 and 50000 users come from? Why are you starting with 3000? Why do you ultimately expect 50000? What do you mean by "concurrent"? 3000 employees using an internal phone directory on an ad hoc basis? Or 3000 people using a call centre app 24/7?

Will APEX running on 11g XE with the EPG run the phone directory? Probably. Will it scale to run the call centre? No.

Will APEX running on Exadata run the phone directory? Yes. Will it scale to run the call centre? It will if the database and application is properly designed and implemented.
  • 6. Re: Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users
    991247 Newbie
    Scott >> Got this thread from the interenet. One of the user's ask whether Oracle apex can be scaled up to accomodate user base as that of Facebook's

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/652587/why-use-oracle-application-express-for-web-app

One of the guys has given a decent enough answer.

Please have a look.
  • 7. Re: Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users
    Roel Oracle ACE Director
    Be careful with your conclusions as most part of that thread is at least 3 years old. And things tend to change over time.
    And sure you can run Facebook. But you have to buy a couple of Exalogic and Exadata machines to handle the traffic...

But back to your original question: the only right answer is "it depends". It depends on the actual active sessions all those users generate. Most of the time they will be looking at the screen and not hitting buttons (that result in hitting your database). The SQL and PL/SQL should be tuned properly. I am pretty sure you can build a piece of plsql that can bring down an Exadata machine with just one session... But in general APEX scales with the database.
    Also web server management should be ok: use zip, caching etc whereever you can.

So the question is not "can APEX handle 10,000's of users" but "can YOU handle 10,000's of users"....
  • 8. Re: Oracle APEX 4.2 Maximum Concurrent Users
    JanN Newbie
    Hi Srikumar,

there is no hard limit how many users can APEX handle - as Roel mentioned above it's more if you can build an application that scales that well.
    Of course for 3.000 (active) concurrent users you will need reasonable infrastructure as well - they will likely generate 100-200 page requests per second...

We built a complete student life-cycle management solution on APEX.
    30 colleges with 500.000 students are using it as their mission critical application.
    http://campusit.net/our-customers/
    http://docs.campusit.net/publications/quercus-user-guide/quercus-overview

I hope it would help answer your question.

Jan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points