10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 8:53 AM by Cleopatra RSS

Dynamic Chart with multiple variables

Cleopatra
      Hi everyone,

I have a question about the Apex charts and wondering if anyone could help.

The chart source query contains 3 variable page items and when I select the values and press the button
      it refreshes the chart region.
      However no data gets displayed and it seems as if the chart doesn't accept the values filled in the items.

Using Apex 4.1.1 and fire fox for browsing is there a way to fix this.
      All help will be appreciated.

Kind regards,
      Cleopatra
        • 1. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
          TexasApexDeveloper
          Simple question.. Are the items in session state? If they are NOT, then the chart will NOT see them..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
          Ruckersville, VA
          • 2. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
            Cleopatra
            Yes they are all in session state, so I'm I don't know why my chart returns no data.
            I had tried the chart query source in SQL commands and it does yield results.
            What else do you think that may be causing the chart not to see the values?

Cleo
            • 3. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
              Howard (... in Training)
              When nothing else seems to work, I start removing conditions from the query until I get some data displayed. If you remove the WHERE clause entirely, do you get all the rows returned? Are you displaying the page items on the page -- at least temporarily -- for debugging?

Regards,
              Howard
              • 4. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
                jwellsnh
                Cleo,

Possibly your chart series query is returning more rows than it has been allowed to display. Take a look at the Maximum Rows setting and see if increasing that solves your problem.

Jeff
                • 5. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
                  Howard (... in Training)
                  Good point!

Cleopatra,

What is the result from the page display of the chart?
                  1) A "No data found." message.
                  2) Spinning icon keeps spinning, spinning, spinning, ...
                  3) You get a blank screen for ever and ever and ever ...

Howard
                  • 6. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
                    Cleopatra
                    What happens is that I see the values in first series of the graph which uses one variable and the second series uses three variables but I don't see the second series in the graph.

Yes I see the values of the items. One of them is is an pop up lov the rest are select lists and date picker fields.
                    How can I make sure the variable values are also used in the second series.

Cleo
                    • 7. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
                      Cleopatra
                      Howard,
                      I don't see any of the three situations.
                      The maximum number of rows does not get exceeded.
                      I just see the first series which uses one variable, but the the second series I do not see which should be receiving values from 3 other variables.

Cleopatra
                      • 8. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
                        Cleopatra
                        Hi Jeff,

The maximum number of rows does not get exceeded.

Cleo
                        • 9. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
                          Howard (... in Training)
                          There are a couple things about series charts which may seem a little subtle.

1) The x-axis is basically labels. One value displays per label per series. So if your data has series1 points (label-a, y=1) (label-b, 2) (label-b, 2.5) then you might get (x=b,y=2) or (b,2.5) but it will not display both.
                          2) Supose you have 3 series. Unless you have a series point for each series for each label, for example, series1 (a,1) series2 (a,20) series3 (a, 15), you'll get breaks in the series and they may not seem to stack over one another -- which is likely what you want with a multi-series chart. (There seems to be a way to handle missing data and to get interpolation, but that's a little more advanced.)
                          3) If you have more labels -- or is it points -- than the max you set for your chart, it will only display the max. But if you are sorting the labels, it doesn't choose the first n, instead it retrieves up to the max points and then plots those. So if you had Mon-Fri data but had a max of 3, you might see Mon, Thu, Friday data because those three were (randomly?) retrieve first -- Oracle queries unordered -- and then sorted.

Do you have a data point in each series for each label?

Howard
                          • 10. Re: Dynamic Chart with multiple variables
                            Cleopatra
                            Sorry for my late reply and thank you all for being so helpful.
                            The queries for the series were all correct and so were the chart settings.
                            Values in the session state were set, and I created a refresh dynamic action for refreshing the chart region.
                            But I also see an option for asynchronous update which I set to "yes" in the refresh section
                            and it seemed to be working just the way I wanted it.

I appreciate you taking your time to help

regards,
                            Cleo