7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 5:51 AM by 565797 RSS

difference in milliseconds between starttimestamp and endtimestamp

I'm having this issue....

I have 2 columns starttimestamp and endtimestamp and both have 13:45:57 on their time...
      I would like to know the milliseconds of difference between them..How can achieve that....

select (ENDTIMESTAMP-STARTTIMESTAMP) as tempo_execucao
      from eil_adapter_log_view
      WHERE TO_DATE ('13-02-2013 13:30:00', 'dd-mm-yyyy hh24:mi:ss') < starttimestamp
      AND TO_DATE ('11-02-2013 14:30:00', 'dd-mm-yyyy hh24:mi:ss') > starttimestamp
      and interfacename = 'Inbound/GetPortfolio.process'
      order by starttimestamp desc;

Can anyone help?

Best Regards,
      Rui Oliveira
        • 1. Re: difference in milliseconds between starttimestamp and endtimestamp
          sb92075
          user562794 wrote:

I have 2 columns starttimestamp and endtimestamp and both have 13:45:57 on their time...
          I would like to know the milliseconds of difference between them..How can achieve that....

Can anyone help?

Best Regards,
          Rui Oliveira
          select TO_CHAR(ENDTIMESTAMP-STARTTIMESTAMP), 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SSxFF') as tempo_execucao
          • 2. Re: difference in milliseconds between starttimestamp and endtimestamp
            JustinCave
            What are the data types of the StartTimeStamp and the EndTimeStamp columns? Are they TIMESTAMP columns? DATE columns? VARCHAR2 columns?

Justin
            • 3. Re: difference in milliseconds between starttimestamp and endtimestamp
              EdStevens
              user562794 wrote:

Can anyone help?

Best Regards,
              Rui Oliveira
              What is the data type of EIL_ADAPTER_LOG_VIEW?
              • 4. Re: difference in milliseconds between starttimestamp and endtimestamp
                Justin Cave wrote:
                What are the data types of the StartTimeStamp and the EndTimeStamp columns? Are they TIMESTAMP columns? DATE columns? VARCHAR2 columns?

Justin
                They are of type DATE...so the type TO_CHAR won't work i think...

This was the error it gave....ORA-01481 invalid number format model
                • 5. Re: difference in milliseconds between starttimestamp and endtimestamp
                  sb92075
                  user562794 wrote:
                  Justin Cave wrote:

Justin
                  They are of type DATE..
                  DATE datatype do not contain any fractions of a second; only whole/integer seconds, so no millisecond difference is possible.
                  • 6. Re: difference in milliseconds between starttimestamp and endtimestamp
                    rp0428
                    >
                    I would like to know the milliseconds of difference between them
                    . . .
                    They are of type DATE...so the type TO_CHAR won't work i think...
                    >
                    You can't get millseconds from a value that doesn't have them.

See the Oracle Built-in Datatypes section of the SQL Language doc
                    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/sql_elements001.htm#i54330
                    >
                    DATE
                    Valid date range from January 1, 4712 BC, to December 31, 9999 AD. The default format is determined explicitly by the NLS_DATE_FORMAT parameter or implicitly by the NLS_TERRITORY parameter. The size is fixed at 7 bytes. This datatype contains the datetime fields YEAR, MONTH, DAY, HOUR, MINUTE, and SECOND. It does not have fractional seconds or a time zone.
                    >
                    Did you see the last sentence? 'It does not have fractional seconds or a time zone.'
                    • 7. Re: difference in milliseconds between starttimestamp and endtimestamp
                      That makes it clear thank you very much for you're quick answers...

Best Regards,
                      Rui