This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 12:03 AM by 987995 RSS

JavaFX goes Web - Render JavaFX to HTML5-Canvas?

Tobi Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
One important fact for a longterm success of JavaFX - besides JavaFX on mobile - could be to become JavaFX "apps" to web - like WebStart, so that the user can start JavaFX apps without installing and downloading software.

Would it be possible with Prism technology to render the scene graph of JavaFX to HTML5 canvas in conjunction with JavaScript? I remember the approach of OpenLaszlo...they rendered there source code to Flash or DHTML.

Best regards,
Tobi

Edited by: Tobi on 15.02.2013 10:10
  • 1. Re: JavaFX goes Web - Render JavaFX to HTML5-Canvas?
    jsmith Guru
    Would it be possible with Prism technology to render the scene graph of JavaFX to HTML5 canvas in conjunction with JavaScript?
    No doubt some bleary eyed JavaFX developer has already done this in some dank basement of the Oracle towers at Redwood Shores :-)
  • 2. Re: JavaFX goes Web - Render JavaFX to HTML5-Canvas?
    shakir.gusaroff Expert
    I remember that an Oracle employee announced it around 2011 JavaOne. I do not remember the person’s name.
    He was not a JavaFX team member. The project was probably unsuccessful.
  • 3. Re: JavaFX goes Web - Render JavaFX to HTML5-Canvas?
    868327 Newbie
    this is link : http://www.dzone.com/links/javafx_20_without_java_vm_in_web_browsers_java_we.html
  • 4. Re: JavaFX goes Web - Render JavaFX to HTML5-Canvas?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Tobi wrote:
    Would it be possible with Prism technology to render the scene graph of JavaFX to HTML5 canvas in conjunction with JavaScript?
    Things being possible should never be a reason to attempt something. In some way or another, EVERYTHING is possible. Even before the HTML 5 veil of deception, someone created Lemmings with javascript. All it takes is determination and too much time.

I would pose a counter question - will it perform in such a way that people will find it an acceptable user experience? I can't prove it but I'm going to safely assume that the answer is hell no. The entire platform is simply already to rickety to support it, a HTML 5 canvas is even less suitable than a Java applet. Perhaps in 10 years when WebGL is finally sorted out and replaced 4 times by "better" solutions, something can work.
  • 5. Re: JavaFX goes Web - Render JavaFX to HTML5-Canvas?
    Tobi Newbie
    oh there are so many good and performant HTML5 canvas demos available... so I think it make sense to think about a solution for a JavaEE/JavaFX server - HTML5 client based solution... maybe Oracle adjusts ADF to render to HTML5 canvas instead of HTML/DIVs ;)

Please take a look at Zebra (http://www.zebkit.com) - a complete HTML5-canvas based UI toolkit with UI components and layout managers! "Swing" in HTML5-Canvas! So that could be a great chance for JavaFX too because we could write web applications in JavaFX rendered to canvas - so no plugin and JavaVM is needed on the client - only on the server!

Edited by: Tobi on 19.02.2013 09:12

Edited by: Tobi on 19.02.2013 09:14
  • 6. Re: JavaFX goes Web - Render JavaFX to HTML5-Canvas?
    987995 Newbie
    I agree, implementing a render engine for JavaFX like Eclipse RAP/RCP approach would be a great eyecatcher for the java world!
  • 7. Re: JavaFX goes Web - Render JavaFX to HTML5-Canvas?
    987995 Newbie
    ...some month ago I had a long discussion with one of the Eclipse gurus !
    Do you know what happen with RAP (based on the RCP/JFace) in the new Eclipse 4 release.

The development of that RAP was based on RWT, suitable to RCP and with less limitations you can develop Fat client and Thin client with the same code base.
    And what happen the last years....there was no acceptance in the industry from my point of view regarding RAP - or in other word no need!
    Or is my opinion wrong?

I agree ... to develop a JWT or use an other technologies who transfer the JavaFX into the the browser...perfect !!

But..think always about all the other frameworks who had the same approach...what happen with them?
    When doing it like this...the Java Standard has to provide this ... and then in each new version...providing the app server approach in a useable way. (Configure a RAP project...is not a task you can do in a few hours...you need days or weeks!)

"We should not refer to the hello world examples! Lets discuss about applications of the real world"

Such a project providing a standard toolkit regarding web capability has to be provided by the Java Standard ... a private project liike RAP is...is limited in the life time and not the right way!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points