This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 8:42 PM by pawii RSS

OCA certification

pawii Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
what should i prefer for oca 11g,10g or 9i technology??
my teacher says that i should go for 9i as it is very rich in basics and works only in command line
nd industries relies on cmd so tell me what would be better for me to opt??
  • 1. Re: OCA certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    987018 wrote:
    what should i prefer for oca 11g,10g or 9i technology??
    I think one should usually go for the latest version ... unless cost or availabililty of training means another is preferred.

It really is ambiguous what technology/certification you are talking about .... is it database? or application server? ... even developer ?

I can assume 9i DBA OCA by default and context ... but I shouldn't have to be making that guess.
    my teacher says that i should go for 9i as it is very rich in basics and works only in command line
    If that is what your teacher said your teacher worries me ....

I might say that 10g through 11g has an increased availability of features, capabilitry and gui managability tools ... turning that into the statement above is somewhat disingenious.
    .... [a]nd industries relies on cmd
    In general less and less so. And I would estimate the current percentages of databases in existance at different versions for 12c/11g/10g/9i/other is something currently like 1/52/32/12/3 ( Thats only an estimate .... by this time next year (or soon thereafter) it will be something like (10/50/30/8/2)). [ 12c production will still be rare; 12c development more common].

Okay I know the gui tools can sometimes not be set up; perform badly on some slow high latency connections or inadequate H/W or O/S. And I more regarded as a command line luddite myself.
    so tell me what would be better for me to opt??
    Dump your teacher ?

( of course he may teach 9i well, 11g badly).

Certainly explore http://certification.oracle.com ... blogs.oracle.com .... especially beware of any authorized training requirements.

Browse through a few pages of recent posts on this forum. Perhaps especially the following .... but you are welcome to take my personal opinion as biased, and it is my opinions, it is not authorative and they may not be accurate:

{thread:id=2483935}
    {thread:id=2379417}
    {thread:id=2494031}
    {thread:id=2493973}
  • 2. Re: OCA certification
    pawii Newbie
    yes i am talking about 9i DBA OCA
    i can not dump my teacher as i had already paid up the fees :(
    can you suggest me some other better option??

i had to take sql exam in the next week so what should i prefer??
    which paper code 9i, or 11g??
  • 3. Re: OCA certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    987018 wrote:
    yes i am talking about 9i DBA OCA
    i can not dump my teacher as i had already paid up the fees :(
    I of course was only joking .... I hope.
    can you suggest me some other better option??

i had to take sql exam in the next week so what should i prefer??
    which paper code 9i, or 11g??
    No sure why the compulsion of next week. But everyone has their reasons. ( I for instance may choose to take 1z0-146 next week before I am totally satisfied with my preparation for it .... but that is because if I dont take it then I may have insufficent time to concentrate on it for a while and I may edge off peak. I will evaluate the cost/risk/benefit for that next week).

In general I suggest people take 1z0-051 in preference to 1z0-007 ......

.... however ... if you have been trained and studying for 1z0-007 then take 1z0-007.

Concentrate and keep focused on that first. Close to an exam it is important to focus on that exam.

And It will still meet a required pre-requisite for any of 9i/10g/11g DBA OCA.

Longer term it is important to know if the training you are receiving is from an Oracle Authorized Partner.

( It will almost certainly under the WDP program if it is ( http://workforce.oracle.com ).

This is important in consideration of DBA OCP certifications.

..... If your training is not from an authorized provider their is a strong possibility they are providing/using Oracle software in breach of an Oracle License agreement.

~~~~~~~~~~

..... In fact another reason that using anything less than 11gR2 for training is now not advised is that it cannot be downloaded from the Oracle Technology Network:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html

~~~~~~~~~~

In practice however focus on exams you have coming up and make the best use of training you have paid for.
  • 4. Re: OCA certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    i had to take sql exam in the next week so what should i prefer?? which paper code 9i, or 11g??
    A couple of weeks ago, a poster was indicating that he wanted his Oracle certifications to be valuable to his career for the next 35 years. My post in that thread noted that 35 years ago was 1978, when mainframes ruled the world. If you plan on a career in Information Technology, you need to plan on a career where you are constantly retraining yourself to take advantage of what is important right now, not what was important five years ago. There are certainly companies still using Oracle 9i. Oracle databases are used by companies for running Enterprise applications. The data is important. Downtime is expensive. Change is scary. All of these things make many companies very conservative when it comes to upgrading to new releases of the software. That said, part of the reason they use Oracle is because of the world-class support that Oracle corporation provides to their databases. That support doesn't last forever. Oracle does desupport versions over time. No more bugfixes, no more guarantees that problems will be made right. Companies will move on to newer releases.

If you pursue Oracle 9i right now, you are deliberately specializing in a database release that is over a decade old. When Oracle 12c is released in a couple of months, it will be three major and five(?) minor releases out of date (seems right... 10.1, 10.2, 11.1, 11.2, 12c). Dunno about dumping your instructor, but you might consider kicking him in the knee (also a joke).
  • 5. Re: OCA certification
    pawii Newbie
    from where should i read the study material for sql exam??
    currently i am reading
    sql1 student guide
    400gc710
    production 1.0
    july 2001
    d33478

from where should i get the latest study material??
  • 6. Re: OCA certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    987018 wrote:
    from where should i read the study material for sql exam??
    currently i am reading
    sql1 student guide
    400gc710
    production 1.0
    july 2001
    d33478

from where should i get the latest study material??
    Well I'm not sure where or why you got the guide you got; perhaps from Peckham market ?

I'll answer on the other thread you raised: {thread:id=2499580}

Edited by: bigdelboy on Feb 16, 2013 1:25 AM ... However I would have expected your teacher to have been giving you good guidance here
  • 7. Re: OCA certification
    pawii Newbie
    read only oracle docs docs nd docs

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points