7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 10:21 AM by Vamsi Kasina RSS

How to know data in data moved into GL

pallis
      Hi All,

I have doubt could you clarify it. How can we know that data available in AP and AR is moved into into GL. If Gl_interface is going to act here. How does Gl_interface identify the data. Can you explain me.

Thanks & Regards,
      pallis
        • 1. Re: How to know data in data moved into GL
          Ivruksha
          Hi Pallis,

From Functional Perspective, you can perform the below steps to identify transactions that are accounted in AP and AR are

transferred to GL or not ...
          In Payables Module, Navigate to Accounting > Subledger Accounting > Journal Entries ...
          In Receivables Module, Navigate to Setup > Accounting > Inquiries > Journal Entries ....
          Once the new window has opened up ...
          In the field ADD ANOTHER, select "Transfer to GL Date" and click ADD button ...
          now you can query or find all transactions that are transferred to GL ..... you can later remove this field perform a query

which would show all transactions ... the difference between them would be entries not transferred to GL ....

Also, much simpler way is to run the subledger period close exceptions report which would point out transactions that are not transferred to General ledger ....

From Technical perspective,
          every subledger transaction that requires to be accounted would have an event ID, and has to cross the base tables of SLA .. so when an accounting entry is created in subledgers like AP or AR ... tables like XLA_EVENTS, XLA_AE_HEADERS and XLA_AE_LINES are populated .... of those tables ..
          This event ID is linked with the transaction, accounting entries generated in Subledger and entries transferred to General Ledger ...

You can run the below query to find out transactions accounted in AR and AP not transferred to General Ledger...

Select EVENT_ID from XLA_AE_HEADERS where GL_TRANSFER_STATUS_CODE = "N" and APPLICATION_ID = 200 and 222

GL Interface is a temporary table, which does not store history information for us to find information, that too in Release 12 transactions does not stay in interface ... it is either sent to GL or returned back to subledger ....XLA tables would be the ideal choice to query such transactions ....

Regards,
          Ivruksha
          • 2. Re: How to know data in data moved into GL
            pallis
            HI Ivruksha ,

Thanks for the reply. Really nice explanation. I now got an idea how the data move.

We have data in AP & AR tables this needs to moved to GL. So XLA plays a major role to move data into GL base tables. I came up with one more doubt. So when ever data loads into AP and AR tables simultaneously the data is moved even into XLA tables (xla_Transaction_entities.source_id_int_1). If I'm correct. Is there any column to map with ap and ar tables so that record 1 is from ap and record 2 from ar.

Thanks & regards,
            pallis
            • 3. Re: How to know data in data moved into GL
              pallis
              Please clarify me even with this.

If the data come from multiple source (AP,AR,FA AND 3rd PARTY TOOL(TALLY) ). This is how data moves.

{AP,AR,FA,3rd party tool}>SLA>GL_INTERFACE>Run "Journal Import">GL base tables.

I just check with the import process. In GL responsibility I find sources where we select the list of sources and run the import and how can we import 3rd party source journals in Import journals .

Please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
              pallis
              • 4. Re: How to know data in data moved into GL
                Ivruksha
                Hi Pallis,

the flow of data is like this .....

Step 1 - Recording of Transaction in AR or AP ...
                System Action - Transaction details are recorded in base tables of specific modules, i.e. for Payables it would get stored in AP related tables and for Receivables it would get stored in AR or RA tables ....

Step 2 - Transaction recorded in AR or AP is accounted ..
                System Action - When you run the concurrent process of Create accounting from AP or AR, system creates accounting entries for the transactions and these are stored in XLA tables and not in AP or AR tables ....

Step 3 - Entries transferred to General Ledger ..
                System Action - One should always remember that ONLY ACCOUNTING ENTRIES are transferred from subledger modules such as AP or AR to the GL and not the transaction related information. Hence, the accounting entries that are generated and stored in XLA tables are not transferred to General Ledger by running the concurrent program Transfer entries to General LEdger ...
                When this operation is carried out, system updates a column in XLA table to mark the entries that are transferred to GL, in order to prevent the duplication ....

So to answer your question ...

1) So when ever data loads into AP and AR tables simultaneously the data is moved even into XLA tables

==> NO, moving the transaction data does not really update XLA tables, these are generated by system automatically and cannot be migrated manually ... this would be generated by running the Create Accounting concurrent program from respective module ...

2) Is there any column to map with ap and ar tables so that record 1 is from ap and record 2 from ar

===> Most of the XLA tables would have a column called Application_Id, this refers to the module from which this accounting entries are generated ... for Payables the application id is 200 and for receivables it is 222 ... these values are system defined hence same for all environments across the globe ...

3) In GL responsibility I find sources where we select the list of sources and run the import and how can we import 3rd party source journals in Import journals

==> If you are importing the entries from standard oracle module such as Payables, Receivables and Assets the source name would be available in the List of values by default, however if you are importing from 3rd party system then you have to define a 3rd party software as a custom source .. only then it would appear in the journal import stage ....
                Third party tool should have created the accounting entries by itself, and only send the accounting data to Oracle General Ledger and not the transaction related information ..... if Oracle is expected to create accounting entries for transactions recorded in 3rd party systems, you have to configure FAH as well .....

Regards,
                Ivruksha
                • 5. Re: How to know data in data moved into GL
                  pallis
                  Hi Ivruksha,

Thank you for the detail explanation. I have one more doubt with gl_interface.When I run import journals in GL Responsibility some of records are failed. But goggled for GL error table . I came to know that there is no Error table for Gl_interface. How can we identify the the records(journals) which are failed other than looking to log. Is there any other process.

Thanks & regards,
                  pallis
                  • 6. Re: How to know data in data moved into GL
                    Ivruksha
                    Hi pallis,

in case of records that are errored, those would be marked with an error code in the GL Interface table itself ....
                    If you check the output file of the Journal Import program, it would state the different error codes / numbers and what it denotes ....

Regards,
                    Ivruksha
                    • 7. Re: How to know data in data moved into GL
                      Vamsi Kasina
                      Just to add more:
                      Along with application_id, you can use entity_code to hit the actual entity.
                      In case of AP whether this is related to invoice or check.
                      In case of AR whether this is related to invoice, receipt, adjustment or bills receivable.

Check the link http://www.orafaq.com/node/2242

By
                      Vamsi