This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 7:06 AM by 800411 RSS

How to save memory when processing large result set

800411 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I need to dump multi millions of rows of data into excel files

I query the tables and open excel to write in

The problem is even I chopped the result into hundred files, close excel completely after 65536 rows, the memory usage keeps going up as the result set is looped and at one point hit the heap size

How can I release the memory has been used in the result set?

Thank you
  • 1. Re: How to save memory when processing large result set
    aksarben Journeyer
    My first suspicion would be that you have a memory leak somewhere.
  • 2. Re: How to save memory when processing large result set
    800411 Newbie
    aksarben wrote:
    My first suspicion would be that you have a memory leak somewhere.
    Nope. I am sure no leaking
    I watch the memory going up and down
    It dropped to initial value right after the process done

The only thing I don't know is how to force the RS release the memory of the rows already processed
  • 3. Re: How to save memory when processing large result set
    939520 Explorer
    I think resultSet.close() will do what you want (you shouldn't have to set resultSet=null when you're done with it).

You can't force the garbage collector to run and reclaim memory. It uses an intelligent algorithm to do so .

I question why your project is sending millions of records to excel. Who is going to read a 10,000 page excel document(s)?
    Instead, I suggest you provide a (intelligent) filter mechanism to allow users to get a subset of data to send to an excel document rather than all data. For example: instead of sending him the entire telephone book, have him search for results based on lastName and/or firstName. That will cut down on the number of records returned. Next, does the user really need all the columns of data in each record? That will cut it down further.

You can search Google for 'java heap size' to increase the memory for your program. However, your 65536 limit is probably due to Excel's limitation and not your Java program.
  • 4. Re: How to save memory when processing large result set
    800411 Newbie
    936517 wrote:
    I think resultSet.close() will do what you want (you shouldn't have to set resultSet=null when you're done with it).

You can't force the garbage collector to run and reclaim memory. It uses an intelligent algorithm to do so .

I question why your project is sending millions of records to excel. Who is going to read a 10,000 page excel document(s)?
    Instead, I suggest you provide a (intelligent) filter mechanism to allow users to get a subset of data to send to an excel document rather than all data. For example: instead of sending him the entire telephone book, have him search for results based on lastName and/or firstName. That will cut down on the number of records returned. Next, does the user really need all the columns of data in each record? That will cut it down further.

You can search Google for 'java heap size' to increase the memory for your program. However, your 65536 limit is probably due to Excel's limitation and not your Java program.
    Sorry I could not explain the need,
    No. That is not issue here. I already use max heap size I can
    but I can handle it now. Open files, write directly to the file instead of holding the data and dumping all at once. I save all the overhead and it works fine even the result set still consumes almost all the memory.
  • 5. Re: How to save memory when processing large result set
    jtahlborn Expert
    mycoffee wrote:
    936517 wrote:

Sorry I could not explain the need,
    No. That is not issue here. I already use max heap size I can
    but I can handle it now. Open files, write directly to the file instead of holding the data and dumping all at once. I save all the overhead and it works fine even the result set still consumes almost all the memory.
    is it possible you are using mysql? the mysql jdbc driver has a terrible default setup in that it keeps all results for the result set in memory ! i think some of the latest drivers finally allow you to stream results sensibly, but you have to use the correct options.
  • 6. Re: How to save memory when processing large result set
    761757 Newbie
    Just a thought:

Wont it be a better approach in your case to start a new process using Processbuilder to call a bat or sh file which runs the query from sqlplus , spool the data to a csv or xls (xlsx has a limit over 1 lakh rows ) and once its done you use this file. This would not impact your heap and as per my experience I have found running sqlplus from command line has been pretty quick.

Am not sure this approach works for you or not.
  • 7. Re: How to save memory when processing large result set
    800411 Newbie
    Solution:

ps = con.prepareStatement(sql,
                             ResultSet.TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY,
                             ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY,
                             ResultSet.CLOSE_CURSORS_AT_COMMIT);

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points