This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 5:50 AM by Michael Ferrante (Oracle) RSS

weblogic forms servlet performance.

744969 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

we have weblogic 10.3.6 with forms/reports 11.2 installed HP-UNIX 11.31 operating system. we are facing performance issues with forms loading on the client side. it is taking long time to load the form on the client machines around 5 to 8 min. to load the form on the client , we have done all the aspects to increase the performance of the service, like increase the heap size in the defaultDomain.env for the WLS_FORMS managed service and add the parallel threads but still the performace is too slow, it become hell after 100 users sessions and throwing error after 700 forms session on the servers.

thanks & Regds,
Mohammed Farhan.
  • 1. Re: weblogic forms servlet performance.
    tony.g Journeyer
    Hi

How many servers are you using? (I mean physical boxes)

Tony

Edited by: tony.g on Feb 18, 2013 10:17 AM
  • 2. Re: weblogic forms servlet performance.
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    Ok, first... 5-8 minutes? Really? You actually have a user that waited that long for the app to start? ;)

So, here are some obvious questions that need to be asked:
    <blockquote>1. How much RAM is installed on this machine (mid tier)?
    2. You said you are using Forms/Reports 11.2. Did you mean 11.1.2? ; If 11.1.2, did you use the "Development" or "Deployment" installation type to perform the installation?
    3. What else (of large scale) is running on this machine? For example Oracle Database, other Oracle Fusion Middleware installations, etc
    4. Does your application use custom java beans/pjc?
    5. Was this an issue when you did your pre-production load testing?
    6. What is the performance like when only one user tries to run the application?
    7. What is the performance like when there are more than one, but less than 100 users running?
    8. Are the end-user machines under powered and/or connecting via a low bandwidth net connection? These days, client machines should have at least 2 gig of RAM (more depending on the OS)</blockquote>
    Although there have been no formal scalability performed by Oracle (for Forms/Reports 11), I would not expect that you would have good performance trying to run 700 users on a single WLS managed server. If I had to guess, I would suspect that good performance likely would occur with a user load of 300 or less per managed server. Anything more should be load balanced across multiple physical and/or managed servers. See MOS note 989118.1

Edited by: Michael Ferrante (Oracle) on Feb 18, 2013 10:31 AM
  • 3. Re: weblogic forms servlet performance.
    744969 Explorer
    Hello Michael,

Here it is

1. How much RAM is installed on this machine (mid tier)?
    64GB

2. You said you are using Forms/Reports 11.2. Did you mean 11.1.2? ; If 11.1.2, did you use the "Development" or "Deployment" installation type to perform the installation?
    yes it is 11.1.2 and it is in deployment installation type.

3. What else (of large scale) is running on this machine? For example Oracle Database, other Oracle Fusion Middleware installations, etc
    nothing only Oracle Fusion Middleware

4. Does your application use custom java beans/pjc?
    no it is purely forms and reports

5. Was this an issue when you did your pre-production load testing?
    it was on 10gAS,

6. What is the performance like when only one user tries to run the application?
    only users tries to run the applications

7. What is the performance like when there are more than one, but less than 100 users running?
    more than 100 users

8. Are the end-user machines under powered and/or connecting via a low bandwidth net connection? These days, client machines should have at least 2 gig of RAM (more depending on the OS
    yes it is more than 2gb on the client machine.

thanks,
    farhan
  • 4. Re: weblogic forms servlet performance.
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    In an effort to understand what might be causing the problem, you will need to perform some logical testing. The results of such questions/tests will help you to best understand why there is an issue. That is where my line of questions were derived. So, let me expand on these questions which you did not exactly answer:

+5. Was this an issue when you did your pre-production load testing?+
    it was on 10gAS,
    <blockquote>So, I am guessing that you did not perform any pre-production load testing. As a suggestion, I would say this is not a good idea for the reason you are currently dealing with. Finding drastic performance issues after going live is not good because in order to fix the problem you will need to potentially bring the system up and down while you work on the problem. This likely will not make end-users happy.

If possible, I would recommend that you set up a test system where you can do some load testing in order to understand what configuration changes you will need to make. The test system should be a similar server with the same software installed. If a similar server is not available, then using a different platform will offer some level of help. For example 64bit Linux</blockquote>
    +6. What is the performance like when only one user tries to run the application?+
    only users tries to run the applications
    <blockquote>What I am suggesting here is that you test the system with only one user accessing the application. This may mean that you perform the test after business hours or have all users exit the system so you can perform the test. </blockquote>
    +7. What is the performance like when there are more than one, but less than 100 users running?+
    more than 100 users
    <blockquote>Same as above. You need to understand what happens to performance as the load increases. If the performance is acceptible when the user load is below 100, 200, or 300 then I would say that everything is working as expected. To increase beyond this number of users you will need to configure some kind of load balancing. For example, either in the managed server or the physical server. Refer to the MyOracleSupport note I mentioned in my previous post.</blockquote>
    Unfortunately, there is no magical way to determine the best configuration for anyone's environment. It requires testing and tweaking.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points