This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 10:21 PM by 979801 RSS

Exception Handaling problem

979801 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I am new in Oracle forms.There is in Java or c#,a try catch block is available to trap any type of exception( occurred in code ) even we do not know the name of exception/error or code of exception.
I want know how we can do the following event in oracle forms as in c# or Java code given below,

int i,j,k;
try
{
i= text_Box1.text; // here text_Box1 is a text item and in this suppose we have entered value 120.
j=text_Box12.text; // here text_Box2 is another text item and in this we entered value=0.
k= i / j; //divide here i and j's values
}
catch
{
messagebox.show("An Exception is occurred,Please Give Proper input "); // to just show a message when any exception is occurred in code in the try block.
}

here when we have value in k is infinite then an exception is raised but here neither we need to give any name-identification of exception nor any conditional statement of raising exception in code.
please help me how can i do above working in oracle forms using pl/sql.
Thank You
  • 1. Re: Exception Handaling problem
    HamidHelal Guru
    Hi,

Check this link
    Handling PL/SQL Errors

Hope this helps

Hamid

Mark correct/helpful to help others to get right answer(s).*
  • 2. Re: Exception Handaling problem
    979801 Newbie
    I know how to do this in pl/sql traditionally .For this firstly i have to write a conditional statement on which a specified exception is occurred.

declare
    e exception ;
    begin
    if -- conditional statement for which i have to raise exception when found then raise it.
    end if
    exception
    end;

to do this i have to sure that what type of exception is possible.But in that case in which we dont make possibilities then how to handle these type of exceptions
  • 3. Re: Exception Handaling problem
    HamidHelal Guru
    976798 wrote:
    I know how to do this in pl/sql traditionally .For this firstly i have to write a conditional statement on which a specified exception is occurred.

declare
    e exception ;
    begin
    if -- conditional statement for which i have to raise exception when found then raise it.
    end if
    exception
    end;

to do this i have to sure that what type of exception is possible.But in that case in which we dont make possibilities then how to handle these type of exceptions
    In general you will know, what type of error occur in your code. If you can't define, you can write custom (you own) exception, thats will help you where the problem occurred.
    For example
    .....your code
    raise_application_error(-20000,'Failed to send mail due to Approve band data not found. ' || sqlerrm);
    Hope this helps...
  • 4. Re: Exception Handaling problem
    979801 Newbie
    Thanks for reply,
    1) For a case in which you have no knowledge about upcoming error and raising conditional statement then how to handle errors.
    2) Suppose there may occur few exceptions(more than 1) in code and you have to handle those then it is necessary to raise and handle exception at each item level validation.
  • 5. Re: Exception Handaling problem
    Andreas Weiden Guru
    For a case in which you have no knowledge about upcoming error and raising conditional statement then how to handle errors.
    The best way is to not handle them at all, but let them raise. So you get at least as much information as possible.
    Suppose there may occur few exceptions(more than 1) in code and you have to handle those then it is necessary to raise and handle exception at each item level validation.
    What exactly is the question?
  • 6. Re: Exception Handaling problem
    979801 Newbie
    Problem Algorithm is Given in a JPEG format pls give me a solution for that
    thank you please go through
    [http://www.club-oracle.com/forums/how-to-handle-exception-in-oracle-forms-using-pl-sql-t7909/]
  • 7. Re: Exception Handaling problem
    979801 Newbie
    Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points