11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 1:39 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Parallel instances?

newbieDBA
      Hello guy, i have created an another instance on a single machine
      i got error when starting up a new one - error starting up database in exclusive mode
      , so i shutdown older database instance , to start new one
      ......now is it possible to run both instance parallel? without shutting anyone

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Parallel instances?
          asahide
          Hi,

This thread may help you.
          <<ORA-01102: cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode

Regards,
          • 2. Re: Parallel instances?
            newbieDBA
            i know at the end , it was case sensi issue !!

i want to know is it possible to run 2 instances parallel in single machine??
            if its...how?
            • 3. Re: Parallel instances?
              Fran
              http://perumal.org/how-to-run-multiple-oracle-database-instances-on-a-single-server/
              http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:3167741500346545498
              • 4. Re: Parallel instances?
                P.Forstmann
                It is possible to run multiple instances for different databases on the same machine even for old database releases like Oracle 8i:
                - each database must have a different ORACLE_SID if they share same ORACLE_HOME
                - all database files (control, redo log and datafiles/tempfiles) must be distinct
                - init and password files must be distinct.

Please post you 4 digits Oracle version, OS and exact Oracle error messages.
                • 5. Re: Parallel instances?
                  newbieDBA
                  Oops!
                  Version : 10.2.0
                  Exact Error : ORA01102 cannot mount database in exclusive mode
                  sharing same oracle_home, different sid
                  i can only open database alternative , cant parallel

.. i jst created instance using oradim , and then used same pfile to open , then created spfile and pfile visa versa
                  I created a net service for new Database , when tested :: it says ""ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor""(a legendary error)

Edited by: newbieDBA on Feb 20, 2013 4:22 AM

Edited by: newbieDBA on Feb 20, 2013 4:23 AM
                  • 6. Re: Parallel instances?
                    P.Forstmann
                    You must not use the same PFILE or SPFILE that an existing database.

If you want to create a database manually you need to create a PFILE by hand and make sure that any file name in this PFILE like CONTROL_FILES parameter or directory name are distinct from any existing database on the same machine.

It would be much easier if you use DBCA to create a new database because DBCA will do this automatically for you (including ORADIM steps).
                    • 7. Re: Parallel instances?
                      newbieDBA
                      P. Forstmann wrote:
                      You must not use the same PFILE or SPFILE that an existing database.
                      Oops!! but i have done that already ! , and database is running .Thanks for a advice , but what it would effect on New database
                      If you want to create a database manually you need to create a PFILE by hand and make sure that any file name in this PFILE like CONTROL_FILES parameter or directory name are distinct from any existing database on the same machine.
                      from oracle docs , i found sample Pfile , and i changed only few parameters like DBname , and Oracle_home , Oracle_base ( i have put the same oracle_home & base)
                      database is running, what disadvantages could i have
                      It would be much easier if you use DBCA to create a new database because DBCA will do this automatically for you (including ORADIM steps).
                      I knew about the DBCA , but i was trying to do with only command line interface !

Thanks

Edited by: newbieDBA on Feb 20, 2013 9:33 AM
                      • 8. Re: Parallel instances?
                        sb92075
                        newbieDBA wrote:
                        I knew about the DBCA , but i was trying to do with only command line interface !
                        while your goal is admirable, you lack the requisite basic knowledge to do so.

You first need to learn the basics regarding Oracle & how it work.

use dbca produce new instances for now.
                        • 9. Re: Parallel instances?
                          newbieDBA
                          i dnt know but i always felt to get the direct issue ! and try practical/learn them in between !
                          -mayb be it could be my hiding nature for excuse :( , but im trying
                          • 10. Re: Parallel instances?
                            EdStevens
                            Duplicate threads make life even more confusing. Please close one

Parallel instances?
                            • 11. Re: Parallel instances?
                              Srini Chavali-Oracle
                              Duplicate - Parallel instances?

Locking thread