This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 3:29 PM by John K. RSS

Tabular Form Apply Button - can I just refresh region v. page submit?

John K. Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All -
I have a basic tabular form with an Apply button. After the button is clicked the MRU completes successfully, but then it triggers a full page submit. I'd rather just refresh the region as nothing else on the page requires a refresh. If I create a dynamic action I think I need the pl/sql to do the update and I'm hoping I can find some easier way around this.

The only action options on the button are page submit, redirect to a page or url and 'defined by dynamic action'. I am on Application Express 4.1.0.00.32.

Hopefully this is something really basic but I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions,

john
  • 1. Re: Tabular Form Apply Button - can I just refresh region v. page submit?
    Marc Sewtz Pro
    Hi John,

If you want to stick with the built-in tabular form functionality, like the MRU page processes, optimistic locking, etc, then you will need to do a page submit and full reload. You can easily navigate to the next set of rows using partial page refresh, and also do sorting. But for writing your data back to the database, you need the page submit. Especially if you have additional tabular form related validations and processes. Of course you could go completely manual, write your own JavaScript to gather the data from all tabular form arrays, and submit this through some AJAX request, and initiate a refresh of only the tabular form region. But you would loose quite a bit of functionality doing this.

We're looking into addressing this with a new multi-row grid edit component, which we're considering for inclusion in APEX 5.0 :

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/application-express/apex-sod-087560.html

... however for the time being, I would highly recommend sticking with the full page submit and reload in this case.

Regards,
    Marc
  • 2. Re: Tabular Form Apply Button - can I just refresh region v. page submit?
    John K. Newbie
    Thanks Marc - great info. I really appreciate the detailed response.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points