3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 3:48 AM by CKPT RSS

Basic question about Data Guard environment

sandy121
      Friends, please do excuse me for this easy question as I am very new to Dataguard technology, what will be ideal start up and shutdown sequences of both primary and standby db's provided the Oracle DB version is 11g R2 and we have also dataguard broker enabled.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Basic question about Data Guard environment
          asahide
          Hi,

Whether to help but do not know, Dataguard Broker manual is here.
          <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17023/toc.htm>>

Regards,
          • 2. Re: Basic question about Data Guard environment
            mseberg
            Hello;

Primary

SQL> startup

Standby

SQL> startup mount

The Broker will always automatically start the apply on a standby unless you explicitly set the state to prevent it from doing so.

Assumes correct broker setup with :

alter system set DG_BROKER_START=TRUE scope=both; ( Plus the rest of the broker setup )

There is no need to shutdown the data guard broker before a database shutdown.

Best Regards

mseberg
            • 3. Re: Basic question about Data Guard environment
              CKPT
              918868 wrote:
              Friends, please do excuse me for this easy question as I am very new to Dataguard technology, what will be ideal start up and shutdown sequences of both primary and standby db's provided the Oracle DB version is 11g R2 and we have also dataguard broker enabled.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
              1) Standby: DGMGRL> EDIT DATABASE 'Standby_DB_UNIQUE_NAME' SET STATE='APPLY-OFF';
              2) Primary: DGMGRL> EDIT DATABASE 'Standby_DB_UNIQUE_NAME' SET PROPERTY LogShipping=OFF;
              3) Standby: Shutdown
              4) Primary Shutdown.

To startup:

1) Primary Startup
              2) Standby: Startup [If ADG], If not then start in MOUNT status
              3) Primary: DGMGRL> EDIT DATABASE 'Standby_DB_UNIQUE_NAME' SET PROPERTY LogShipping=ON;

No need to startup MRP on standby, because whenever broker started, MRP will be initiated.

HTH.

Edited by: CKPT on Feb 22, 2013 3:18 PM