This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 9:00 AM by rukbat RSS

copying files from windows to solaris5.8 with filezilla file length issues

978744 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello

I am copying a tar from windows7 to Solaris with filezilla i could see, some characters in the name of the file get deleted.

I could see only substring of the filename

eg: original filename :abcdefghijklmnopqrstu.h

i can see like abcdefghijklm

solution to this problem is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Revathi R
  • 1. Re: copying files from windows to solaris5.8 with filezilla file length issues
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    To begin with, I've arranged to have your post moved from the Solaris 11 forum to the Solaris 9 forum.
    That's the closest arena for questions involving a system running Solaris 8, as you stated in the title of your post.

I think you have a Filezilla issue, not an OS issue.
    It's been a very long time since I needed to investigate deep into Filezilla's settings but I recall there's some various choices as to 8-dot-3 versus long-file-name compatibilities.

My various systems with Filezilla installed don't have your issue and they're all installed with what I vaguely remember as its program defaults. When I use the program it is ALWAYS to transfer files back and forth between MSWin and *NIX systems.

You might think about searching for hints and solutions on Filezilla forums/blogs/wikis instead these forums here.
  • 2. Re: copying files from windows to solaris5.8 with filezilla file length issues
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Another suggestion:
    When you post the same question to multiple forum web sites, you should have the manners to mention the fact and paste a link to such other posts.

e.g.:
    http://www.unix.com/solaris/216426-while-copying-files-windows-solaris5-8-filezilla-length-filename-changed.html

... and after reviewing your posting history here, is seems that EVERY one of your OTN posts was cross-posted elsewhere easy to find with a Google search of your text).

Why should anyone bother to spend time helping when that help might be a duplicate of what you've been told elsewhere? Why should people have to check for duplicates?
  • 3. Re: copying files from windows to solaris5.8 with filezilla file length issues
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    ... and after now seeing a resolution posted by you to that unix.com thread, yet no update here. we can all conclude you just don't have any forum manners.

I, for one, have no intention of ever responding to you with assistance in the future.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points