This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 9:14 AM by 102898 RSS

How does portal map the database schema to the database?

102898 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
How does portal map the Database Schema selected in the Portal User Profile to the database? It's my understanding that each user connects to the database as "Portal" which is configured by default in the dad under PlsqlDatabaseUsername. How does the database schema selected in the Portal User Profile come into play?

Thank you in advance for your assistance:
Aimee
  • 1. Re: How does portal map the database schema to the database?
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Oracle Portal users are not defined in the database. They are defined as entries in your LDAP server (Oracle Internet Directory) below the tree defined as Users Search Base in Oracle Portal :

Portal Builder > Administration > Global Settings > Tab: SSO/OID

As such, there is no mapping between the users defined in Oracle Internet Directory and the users defined in your database.

To connect to the database, Oracle Portal uses Proxy Authentication (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/java.111/b31224/proxya.htm). Connections are made predominantly by the user PORTAL_PUBLIC (which is often mentioned in the Database Schema setting in the user's properties). The database schema in the Portal User Profile defines the schema which is used to execute the procedures in the Portal metadata repository database. Theoretically you could use a different schema than Oracle Portal but I have not seen any cases where this was useful.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 2. Re: How does portal map the database schema to the database?
    102898 Newbie
    Thank you for your quick response Erik.

I reviewed the Proxy Authentication chapter and have an additional question.

A number of records are returned after I execute SELECT * FROM proxy_users. The client column lists schemas I created to assign to portal lightweight users under their user profile. Each schema (client) is assigned different roles to give them restricted access to execute certain packages. These packages execute html pages using mod_plsql.

New Question: Which table can I query to determine which lightweight users are assigned to which schemas (clients)?

Thank you for your continued assistance:
    Aimee
  • 3. Re: How does portal map the database schema to the database?
    Erik Janssen Pro
    That should be available in PORTAL.WWSEC_PERSON$ :
    select user_name, db_user from wwsec_person$

USER_NAME            DB_USER
    ------------------------- ------------------------------
    JANE.DOE            DEV_PORTAL_PUBLIC
    JOHN.DOE            INTRANET_CORE
    DEV_PORTAL            DEV_PORTAL_PUBLIC
    PUBLIC                 DEV_PORTAL_PUBLIC
    ORCLADMIN            DEV_PORTAL_PUBLIC
    TEST2                 DEV_PORTAL_PUBLIC
    MY_PORTAL_ADMIN        DEV_PORTAL_PUBLIC
    As you can see, I have changed the Database Schema for user JOHN.DOE to INTRANET_CORE temporarily in the UI, which indeed got reflected in the table wwsec_person$.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 4. Re: How does portal map the database schema to the database?
    102898 Newbie
    Thank you Erik.

I just executed:

select user_name, proxy, client
    from  portal.wwsec_person$
    +,proxy_users+
    where client = db_user;

This gave me the information I was interested in obtaining.

Do you have familiarity with APEX? I know this is the wrong forum, but I'm trying to determine if there is a way to implement Proxy Authentication or something that would give me the same result in APEX.
    If this is out of your area, I'll close this thread and open up a new one in the APEX forum.

Thanks again:
    Aimee
  • 5. Re: How does portal map the database schema to the database?
    Erik Janssen Pro
    I tend to stay away from APEX as much as possible :-)
  • 6. Re: How does portal map the database schema to the database?
    102898 Newbie
    Erik:

I've been tinkering in APEX, because I've been given the impression that Portal doesn't have a future at Oracle. Have you heard differently?
  • 7. Re: How does portal map the database schema to the database?
    Erik Janssen Pro
    The official statement of direction for Oracle Portal wouldn't let you think so. The document is from 2009 however. Oracle Portal 11g contained some new features. Reality is however that the majority of the new features will be delivered through the WebCenter Portal product which is Oracle's strategic Portal product.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 8. Re: How does portal map the database schema to the database?
    102898 Newbie
    Thanks for your help Erik.

Edited by: aimees on Feb 22, 2013 9:14 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points