This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 12:40 PM by vinothchandar RSS

Mechanism to get change stream from an environment

vinothchandar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am trying to see if there is any mechanism to get change streams from BDB-JE enviroment to an application thread? I know BDB-JE support replicated instances. But I need the change streams delivered to an application thread asynchronously. Is this possible?

In short, I am looking for something similar to XStream Out for Oracle RDBMS.

Thanks
Vinoth
  • 1. Re: Mechanism to get change stream from an environment
    greybird Expert
    Vinoth,

No, there is no such feature.

We've considered triggers and an async change stream as possible future features.

When you say "I need the change streams delivered to an application thread asynchronously", can you describe more about your requirements and how you'd be using this?

Thanks,
    --mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 2. Re: Mechanism to get change stream from an environment
    vinothchandar Newbie
    Today, cross data center replication in Voldemort happens from the client itself and thus is inefficient since we send the same message across WAN to multiple servers. So, we are considering building a 'Replicator' entity which will gather change streams from Voldemort servers, push them out to the 'Replicator' on the other datacenter, which does individual writes on the remote datacenter.

So, if we can get a change stream out of BDB-JE, that would be ideal.

Thanks
    Vinoth
  • 3. Re: Mechanism to get change stream from an environment
    Tim Blackman, Oracle Newbie
    vinothchandar wrote:
    Today, cross data center replication in Voldemort happens from the client itself and thus is inefficient since we send the same message across WAN to multiple servers. So, we are considering building a 'Replicator' entity which will gather change streams from Voldemort servers, push them out to the 'Replicator' on the other datacenter, which does individual writes on the remote datacenter.
    We've been thinking about similar issues for using JE HA replication for replication groups with nodes in geographically separated locations. Having a way to send a single replication stream across the slow link between data centers and then have a representative node on the remote side distribute the stream to the other nodes out there seems like an important optimization.

- Tim
  • 4. Re: Mechanism to get change stream from an environment
    vinothchandar Newbie
    Yes. We typically have 3 replicas.. So, in our case, it will reduce the WAN traffic to 1/3..

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points