This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2013 10:50 AM by 992891 RSS

Method Call

992891 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to make my own version of the Stack ADT. I have various methods including one called isEmpty(). Maybe this is an obvious question, but I want to use the isEmpty() method that I created in all of my other methods that require it. For example, in the code below, I want to use it in the pop() method in order to test if the stack is empty before I try to pop something from it. The problem is that it's not letting me use the method I created, and instead is telling me to use .length like for a regular array. How do I make it so that it allows me to use the method that I made? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Sorry for the terrible copy paste btw, but I can't seem to be able to figure out how to paste the code nicely with lines and all.

public class Stack<T> implements StackADT<T> {

private T[] array = (T[]) new Object[50]; // type casts object to T[]
     private boolean doubleExpand = true; // initial array expand

public boolean isEmpty(){

for(T elem: array){
               if(elem != null){
                    return false;
               }
          }
          return true;

}
     public T pop(){

if (array.isEmpty()){
          //code     
          }     
     }
}

Edited by: 989888 on Feb 22, 2013 11:01 PM
  • 1. Re: Method Call
    EJP Guru
    I want to use the isEmpty() method that I created in all of my other methods that require it.
    So call it.
    For example, in the code below, I want to use it in the pop() method in order to test if the stack is empty before I try to pop something from it. The problem is that it's not letting me use the method I created
    You didn't create it. You can't create methods in the array classes.
    instead is telling me to use .length like for a regular array.
    QED. It is a regular array. You are calling methods on an array, not one of your own classes.
  • 2. Re: Method Call
    992891 Newbie
    I feel somewhat retarded right now.

Thanks for your help

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points