This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 8:55 PM by Phanikanth RSS

ODI SCD2..!

cnu143 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi friends,
what are the challenges we face while perform/run the scd2 interface in odi 11g.
  • 1. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    A. Drieux Pro
    Please explicit your demand.
  • 2. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    948202 Newbie
    Performace will dpeend on the no of coumns in a table and on how many coulmns you are including in SCD
  • 3. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    cnu143 Newbie
    Hi friends.
    Thank you for u reply.
    If we implement scd type2 in odi 11g can we face any challenges or not,
    if yes, what r those.
    (if u want emp table as example)
  • 4. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    A. Drieux Pro
    The main challenge is the volumetry.
    Since you historize changes, your emp table can be bigger and bigger.
  • 5. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    897978 Newbie
    A common problem occurs when you add a new column to an existing table posted by an SCD.

If you define the new column as 'add row on change' in the model, every row coming in will be a new row, because the existing row will have an null for the new column value. This will double the entries in your table.

So, before the first time you run your SCD interface after adding a new column, you should define the new column as 'update on change' in the model. This is will post the incoming data to the new column but not create a new current row.

After the SCD interface runs for the first time, you can then change the new column definition in the model to 'add row on change'. Then only true changes will create a new current row.
  • 6. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    922130 Newbie
    Hello,
    basic SCD2 implementation of Slowly changing dimension in ODI is very good, not perfect, but running...best thinkg is, that you are able to fully modify functionality for your conventions...
    I clone this IKM and create SCD3 IKM, which is based on best practise using on 3-level BI/DWH (for L1 consolidated layer).
    I have actual data table on example VEHICLES. To this table I integrate by interfaces data from 3 sources...at the end I have in this dimension consolidated actual state.
    Historical table (for example VEHICLES_H) I have historized (I use only add row on change pattern, because SCD1 properties I get from actual state (last actual value).
    I modify SCD2 pattern - modify minimal and maximal date of validity (we use only date validity, not with time part)
    On this, you only define SCD behavioral rules on target H table (identify surrogate and natural key, current flag, time validity columns), and create simple interface 1:1 from actual state table to H table.
    Audit columns is modificated only on needed scenerios.
    Query performance is very good (hundred thousand records in a few minutes). You can optimize IKM for partitioning support, parallel support, and I recommend rewrite some parts of IKM to better performance (such as update flag update clause with for use exists etc..)

If you need some support, I can send you modified IKM ans some simple rules for using...

Petr
  • 7. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    David Allan Guru
    Hi Petr

It'd be great if you could share. There is a ODI sharing site here;
    http://java.net/projects/oracledi

Cheers
    David
  • 8. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    994778 Newbie
    Hi,

The steps to implement SCD2:

1)Need to create 4 columns in target table 1)surrogate seq 2)Current Flag 3)Start date 4)end date
    2)Import the source and target tables into ODI model and set the OLAP property of the table to **SLOWLY CHANGING DIMENSION**
    3)Now in designer Navigator set each column property of target table.
    4)Now create a new interface and drag source and target to mapping and do Auto Map.
    5)The four new columns should be executed on target.For surrogate se you can use db Seq or ODI seq.Start date as sysdate and enddate as any defauly date.Hardcode flag as 0
    5)Make the surrogate seq column to only insert and uncheck the update property for surrogate seq.
    6)Select the appropriate LKM and IKM(Oracle SLowly changing DImension) and CKM
    7Execute

Thanks,
    Kiran
  • 9. Re: ODI SCD2..!
    Phanikanth Pro
    Hi Kiran,

Have you saw below URL for SCD2

http://dwteam.in/scd-type2-in-odi/

Regards,
    Phanikanth

Legend