This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2013 12:09 PM by PWN RSS

chown command is not changing owner and group of the directories

PWN Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Good morning, I hope that someone in this group can make a suggestion or two as what my issues are and how to solve them, or suggest the correct group to post the questions to.

I have successfully installed Oracle Solaris 11.1 (x86/64-bit) installation on Oracle VirtualBox. Now, I would like to install Oracle 11gR2 in my Oracle Solaris 11.1 environment. At the moment, I am completing the pre-installation instructions. Having signed on as the root user, I created the oracle user and the oinstall group. Further on, the instructions call for the creation of two directories, /u01/app/oracle and /u02/oradata, which I created without error, both directories being owned by root. Now, the instructions call for changing the owner and group to the oracle user and the oinstall group, as follows:

# chown -R oracle:oinstall /u01/app/oracle
# chown -R oracle:oinstall /u02/oradata

My specific issue is that after performing the chown command, I do an ls -l and see that the two directories are still owned by root (the group is root as well). Even though I am performing the chown command as root, the command is not changing owner and group of the two directories. I am relatively new to working in a Solaris environment. Can anyone suggest why the chown command would not change the owner and group of these directories and what I can do to correct this? No amount of searching on Google or the Oracle Discussion Forums have provided any clues. Many thanks in advance to those who can provide any assistance :)
  • 1. Re: chown command is not changing owner and group of the directories
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    What does the output of:

ls -ld /u01/app/oracle /u02/oradata

look like?
  • 2. Re: chown command is not changing owner and group of the directories
    PWN Newbie
    Hi Bob, thanks for the reply, much appreciated. When I logged into my Oracle Solaris 11.1 and su - root, I executed an ls -ld from the root directory and got the following results:

root@solaris://>ls -ld /u01/app/oracle /u02/oradata
    drwxrwxr-x 2 oracle oinstall 2 Feb 21 05:36 /u01/app/oracle
    drwxrwxr-x 2 oracle oinstall 2 Feb 21 05:36 /u02/oradata

I was surprised to say the least, as when I executed an ls -l from the root directory as root, I got the following results:

root@solaris://>ls -l
    total 1042
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Oct 4 23:41 bin -> ./usr/bin
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root sys 8 Oct 4 23:41 boot
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 5 Oct 5 00:33 cdrom
    drwxr-xr-x 254 root sys 257 Feb 21 12:39 dev
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 3 Feb 21 05:36 u01
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 3 Feb 21 05:36 u02

I exited from the root role and back to my user account, and then executed an ls -ld from the root directory and got the same results as above, showing the oracle and oinstall as the owner and group, respectively. When I executed an ls -l from the root directory, the results show root and root as the owner and group. I will have to read up on the differences between ls -l and ls -ld to determine who in fact is the owner and group, is it oracle oinstall or root root. Could you possibly enlighten me on what the differences are between ls -l and ls -ld so I know where to concentrate my reading.

Thanks very much again for your assistance.
  • 3. Re: chown command is not changing owner and group of the directories
    PWN Newbie
    Hi Bob, the issue surrounding my question was a lack of understanding of exactly what I was requesting. After executing an ls -ld and further reading about the ls and chown commands, the answer revealed itself.

When I was executing the chown -R oracle:oinstall of /u01/app/oracle, I was requesting a change of owner and group on the "oracle" directory, not on the "u01", "app" and "oracle" directories. Similarly, the chown -R oracle:oinstall /u02/oradata was a request to change the owner and group for the "oradata" directory, not on the "u02" directory. What I really was trying to achieve was to change the owner and group for the u01, app, and oracle directories to oracle:oinstall, and the change the u02 and oradata directories to oracle:oinstall.

To achieve what I initially set out to do, I executed a chown -R oracle:oinstall u01, and chown -R oracle:oinstall u02. After executing an ls -l from the root directory, I see that the owner & group for the u01 and u02 directories had been changed to oracle:oinstall.

Thanks again for your reply, your idea of executing the ls -ld and seeing the results of that command sparked the beginning of finding the solution.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points