This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 12:37 AM by user11221081 RSS

oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please

user11221081 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hello guys

actually some went wrong with my os aix so os people recovered that and now my oracle user and oratab etc files are not there on it.i think it corrupted oracle but dbf files are available all san data is there oracle home data.

please tell me what do i do to restore my oracle

how do i check for relevant files.

do i need to install oracle and create user and tablespaces

oracle 11gr1
  • 1. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    actually some went wrong with my os aix so os people recovered that and now my oracle user and oratab etc files are not there on it.i think it corrupted oracle but dbf files are available all san data is there oracle home data.

please tell me what do i do to restore my oracle

how do i check for relevant files.

do i need to install oracle and create user and tablespaces
    >
    Don't do ANYTHING without first making sure you have a copy of whatever database related files still exist.

You said dbf files are available but they may be corrupted. Make a copy of them anyway and any init and control files.

Post info about the backups that you had been making and the availability or archive log files.
  • 2. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    user11221081 Newbie
    thanks foe immediate reply i need it really

i am in critical state relying on ur help

actually all dbf files are there on san oracle home directories i am able to see.i do not require archives.see as of now oracle not available on machine as aix corrupted oracle user.now i just have this consistent cold backup all files are available there on san

p;lease tell me the steps to restore with the files available on san
  • 3. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    thanks foe immediate reply i need it really

i am in critical state relying on ur help
    >
    Then you are making a big mistake. Nothing in the forums is urgent.

If you need urgent help you need to contact Oracle support or hire a consultant.
    >
    actually all dbf files are there on san oracle home directories i am able to see.i do not require archives.see as of now oracle not available on machine as aix corrupted oracle user.now i just have this consistent cold backup all files are available there on san

p;lease tell me the steps to restore with the files available on san
    >
    There is little point in giving advice if you don't plan to follow it or explain why you won't follow it.

You CANNOT use your only backup files during the recovery except to copy them to a new Oracle installation. You have already suffered a major loss; don't make a stupid mistake now. Copy your cold backup files to another location for safekeeping.

Does your cold backup include the initialization files and the control files?

If you do not have Oracle then you have no 'oracle home directories'. You will need to reinstall the same version Oracle that you were using and recreate the same oracle home and folder paths.

Then you should be able to copy the cold backup files to their original folders and startup the database.
  • 4. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    user11221081 Newbie
    see all is present on mount points all files dbf control etc

all is oracle got corrupted and its home.rest all files are accessible now i reinstall please tell me do i just need to install software or create the database with same file location.do i need to create users and tablespaces again
  • 5. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    rp0428 Guru
    I already answered that in my last reply. You said you already have a cold backup of your database so reinstall Oracle and copy your cold backup files to the original locations and startup the database.
  • 6. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    Girish Sharma Guru
    I shall start my post with bold letter of previous reply by rp i.e. Copy your cold backup files to another location for safekeeping. Don't be in hurry and worry. Don't loose mind control. I understand position but this is the time where real professionals become more professional, more coolant. I am just posting below two links but just for reading, not just start for doing :

http://rohitguptaoracletips.blogspot.in/2008/05/how-to-clone-database-using-cold-backup.html
    and
    http://kamranagayev.com/2010/03/29/rman-video-tutorial-series-performing-disaster-recovery-with-rman/

First, just read them, understand properly, take baby steps with well writing simultaneous in your another notepad file and now tell us on which step where are you, any ORA etc. If you follow above steps by proper learning and note down the steps for recovery/restoring, then I am sure you will get correct and to the point replies by members.

Regards
    Girish Sharma
  • 7. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    user11221081 Newbie
    i think all is intact only oracle user got de-installed by root as it is re-installed in maintainence mode but i am unable to identify

please tell what are all the files for oracle i need to check that oracle is still installed and working
  • 8. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    user11221081 Newbie
    i am able to login through sqlplus

but when i do startup nomount with pfile its giving error ora-00000--normal successful completion

i think my home is intact but unable to startup oracle
  • 9. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    If all what had happened that someone removed you from the o/s group and has removed the /etc/oratab , it won't corrupt your database in anyways. How did you confirm this that the db is indeed corrupted? What's the last alert log message recorded ? Post an output from sqlplus showing what's going on when you are trying to start the db .

Aman....
  • 10. Re: oracle corrupted on aix need some urgent solution..please
    user11221081 Newbie
    thanks to all
    actually some important configuration files of os like security-limits etc got miss.so we did all parameters setting again did software installation again recovered the database.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points