This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 3:56 PM by NenadBulatović RSS

password for username "oracle" by "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall"?

NenadBulatović Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
What would be password for username "oracle" created by "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall" ?

According to this tutorial:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/ginnydbinstallonlinux6-1845247.html

I should login as "oracle" user and then start installation, but I don't know the default password, and I wasn't asked for it during installation of "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall".

Regards,
Nenad Bulatović
  • 1. Re: password for username "oracle" by "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall"?
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    What you have downloaded is a Linux RPM that you installed logged in as the root account. This RPM readies the Linux OS for an Oracle software install. The RPM install does not create OS accounts for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager

You still need to create the oracle Unix account (as identified in the Install Guide http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/pre_install.htm#BABHHEJD) before you can proceed with the install.

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: password for username "oracle" by "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall"?
    NenadBulatović Newbie
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    What you have downloaded is a Linux RPM that you installed logged in as the root account. This RPM readies the Linux OS for an Oracle software install. The RPM install does not create OS accounts for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager

You still need to create the oracle Unix account (as identified in the Install Guide http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/pre_install.htm#BABHHEJD) before you can proceed with the install.

HTH
    Srini
    Quite contrary that package DID installed "oracle" user.

I know what I downloaded and I know what it did becasue I read manuals/tutorials:

I checked with

cat /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1

and it shows that "oracle" user is there.

*.....*
    tcpdump
    oprofile
    nenad
    oracle
    *[root@ol6 oracle]# cat /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1^C*

Moreover I checked with this:

*[root@ol6 oracle]# cat /etc/passwd |grep oracle*
    oracle:x:54321:54321::/home/oracle:/bin/bash
    *[root@ol6 oracle]#*

According to tutorial it confirms taht there is a script (or whatsoever) which create that oracle user:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/ginnydbinstallonlinux6-1845247.html

So, this is from tutorial that I posted link:

This RPM performs a number of preconfiguration steps, including the following:

Automatically downloading and installing any additional software packages and specific package versions needed for installing Oracle Grid Infrastructure and Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.3), with package dependencies resolved via yum or up2date capabilities.

*Creating the user oracle+ and the groups oinstall (for OraInventory) and dba (for OSDBA), which are used during database installation. (For security purposes, this user has no password by default and cannot log in remotely. To enable remote login, please set a password using the passwd tool.)*

Modifying kernel parameters in /etc/sysctl.conf to change settings for shared memory, semaphores, the maximum number of file descriptors, and so on.

Setting hard and soft shell resource limits in /etc/security/limits.conf, such as the locked-in memory address space, the number of open files, the number of processes, and core file size.

Setting numa=off in the kernel for x86_64 machines.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, my qustion still stands: what is the password for user "oracle" created by (some script from) RPM package "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall" ?

P.S. I might be new to Oracle world, but I have 10+ years in administering Linux box-es (mostly Debian, but I started with RedHat back in 2003), I know what RPM is, but thank you anyway for trying to clarify it for me :)

Edited by: Nenad Bulatović on Feb 25, 2013 12:23 AM

Edited by: Nenad Bulatović on Feb 25, 2013 12:25 AM
  • 3. Re: password for username "oracle" by "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall"?
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    OK - as per the article

>
    Creating the user oracle and the groups oinstall (for OraInventory) and dba (for OSDBA), which are used during database installation. *(For security purposes, this user has no password by default and cannot log in remotely. To enable remote login, please set a password using the passwd tool.)*
    >

Use the Unix user management GUI to set a password for this account.

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: password for username "oracle" by "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall"?
    NenadBulatović Newbie
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    OK - as per the article

>
    Creating the user oracle and the groups oinstall (for OraInventory) and dba (for OSDBA), which are used during database installation. *(For security purposes, +this user has no password+ by default and cannot log in remotely. To enable remote login, please set a password using the passwd tool.)*
    >

Use the Unix user management GUI to set a password for this account.

HTH
    Srini
    It was not clear about which user they speak about - note that they used "singular", so I assumed that speak about dba user.

I don't need a GUI to set password for a user, I am fine with console, but thank you for informing me about that option.

The right answer was:

The package contains a script named oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-verify. It creates the oracle account only if it does not already exist and does not set any password.

Type the following command as root to set or change the password:

+# passwd oracle+

Edited by: Nenad Bulatović on Feb 25, 2013 12:55 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points