This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 7:09 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Currently Being Moderated
    becks wrote:
    Shifted the pfile and spfile over.
    Have proceed until part 5. Do not really understand part 5 as i could not find ORACLE_HOME\database\ORACLE_SID \ folder. So i skip it
    You should not skip this step. The init.ora file is the same one you copied over from the source server. I have no experience with Windows, but on Unix the file is located in ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.
    Step 7: could not find this ORACLE_HOME\rdbms folder also. skip
    Again, you cannot skip this step. If you installed the Oracle software correctly on the target server, there should be an ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory present.
    I go to step 8 then step 9 throw the following error.
    ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
    Stilll trying to debug
    Pl see these MOS Docs

Connect As Sysdba On Windows Fails With ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error [ID 989716.1]
    Bequeath Connection Generates ORA-12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error [ID 831007.1]
    ORA-12560 errors during Database Server upgrade to 10.2.0.3.0 on Windows [ID 465289.1]
    ORA-12560 for Bequeath connection or client connection on Windows [ID 1524457.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 16. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks Newbie
    In the destination server, I saw under ORACLE_home/dbs, there 2 files.
    initdw.ora - seem like a readme file as it contains ##
    and spfiledb1.ora - not readable by notepad.
    still lookind for the init.ora files. It mention about add a parameter berfore change word size. But it did not show how we gotta change the word size? any ideas?
  • 17. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    SPFILE is a binary file that cannot be edited. You will have to create a pfile from spfile (see link posted above) and edit the pfile as needed and startup the database using the pfile. All of this assumes some basic DBA skills.

HTH
    Srini
  • 18. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks Newbie
    Thanks thanks. How about the word changes?
    Really shld feedback to my department head. I just a database user with simple knowledge of sql statment. There no DBA in our company.
    Are your guys DBA to the application team in your company? What is the usual setup of of a software developing team? Application team, Infrastructure team into DBA, weblogic administrator, load balance, network? Do your have administrator for each container like database server, application server, window server, linux server.
  • 19. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks wrote:
    Thanks thanks. How about the word changes?
    Not sure what you mean by this - pl elaborate.
    Really shld feedback to my department head. I just a database user with simple knowledge of sql statment. There no DBA in our company.
    All of this work should be done by a knowledgeable DBA - if you do not have one, hire a consulting DBA.
    Are your guys DBA to the application team in your company? What is the usual setup of of a software developing team? Application team, Infrastructure team into DBA, weblogic administrator, load balance, network? Do your have administrator for each container like database server, application server, window server, linux server.
    Yes we have dedicated teams doing all of this work in their respective areas of expertise

HTH
    Srini
  • 20. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks Newbie
    In points 5 and 6 of the guide, it mention about the word size change.
    5.In the 64-bit Oracle home, add the SYSTEMTRIG_ENABLED = false parameter to the ORACLE_HOME\database\ORACLE_SID \init.ora file before changing the word size.

6.Remove this parameter from the initialization file after the word size change is complete.
  • 21. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks wrote:
    In points 5 and 6 of the guide, it mention about the word size change.
    5.In the 64-bit Oracle home, add the SYSTEMTRIG_ENABLED = false parameter to the ORACLE_HOME\database\ORACLE_SID \init.ora file before changing the word size.
    So when you install the 64-bit binaries on the target and copy over the database files from the source and open the database, the word size gets automatically updated to 64-bit on the target database.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/intro.htm#i1008703
    6.Remove this parameter from the initialization file after the word size change is complete.
    Once all of the steps are complete, remove the "_SYSTEM_TRIG_ENABLED = false" from the init.ora file and restart the database

HTH
    Srini
  • 22. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks Newbie
    ok i manage to create a pfile from spfile. the ppfile is an init.ora file right. After step 8 and 9, I'm connected to an idle instance. I'm stuck at step 10 whereby it says need to recreate the control files.
    Do i type the create files in the sqlplus but i got back ORA-01034: Oracle not available? Thinking that I can shift the control files over as both the source and the destination database have the same database name, can I? if so, i can skip 10 to go 11 but I'm stuck at 11 when it says Alter the init file? What do I need to alter?
  • 23. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks wrote:
    ok i manage to create a pfile from spfile. the ppfile is an init.ora file right. After step 8 and 9, I'm connected to an idle instance. I'm stuck at step 10 whereby it says need to recreate the control files.
    Follow the instructions in Step 10, beginning with "Edit the trace file created in ...". After you edit the trace file as needed, execute in SQL Plus (connected as SYSDBA) to create new controlfiles.
    Do i type the create files in the sqlplus but i got back ORA-01034: Oracle not available? Thinking that I can shift the control files over as both the source and the destination database have the same database name, can I? if so, i can skip 10 to go 11 but I'm stuck at 11 when it says Alter the init file? What do I need to alter?
    I would strongly recommend you hire a consultant DBA to do this work for you

HTH
    Srini
  • 24. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks Newbie
    Thanks for the help so far.
    Another question, does anyone uses advance repulication? Does it come with the Enterprise edition of Oracle. Can I use it in this situation? To reduce the number of hours of downtime?
    The method in this thread is to shift all the necessary configurations over then start the database. The time taken will be dependable on the size of the datafiles(.ora) since is the largest, my situation is a 80+ GB of datafiles. Does advance repulication reduce the time as in it always sync the database then the last sync will be a very quick incremental sync?

From google, no one mention about using repulication on migration of database. Any reason for this?
  • 25. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    --This is a new issue, pl open a new thread in the {forum:id=69} forum--

Oops I misunderstood - yes, replication is a possible solution - pl see the Workshop Presentation here - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/upgrade/index.html

Srini

Edited by: Srini Chavali on Apr 1, 2013 9:22 AM
  • 26. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks Newbie
    then why was it not commonly used? Most of the methods that I got from the internet is either using the exp/imp or the shifting of the configuration files over?
    Is advance replication more complex compared to the 2 above?
  • 27. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    Replication is licensed separately and is used in situations where downtime has to be minimized. For the vast majority of migrations, some downtime is available, which allows for traditional methods for the upgrade

HTH
    Srini
  • 28. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    becks Newbie
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/editions.htm
    Separate license? This is what i got from the net saying that the license comes with enterprise edition. Under the Feature Availability by Edition, it states that Advanced repulication is available. It not under the extra cost options. OR did i misunderstand this cost portion? Though i have not try to explore, i hope that is within the installation of enterprise.

If downtime is lesser, would people try this repulication even if they are given with more downtime. Could it be that it will be much more complex than the traditional method(like need additional server or sth)? therefore they dont use this repulication method, they opt for a safer and proven traditional method since they have the time.
  • 29. Re: Migrate 32-bit 10.2.0 to 64-bit 10.2.0
    If you are using Enterprise Edition, then Advanced Replication is included in the license. There are other replication technologies (like GoldenGate) that are licensed separately. Upgrading using these tools is complicated and will likely require the use of Oracle Consulting services.

HTH
    Srini
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points