This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 9:08 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Parallel instances?
    newbieDBA Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    ( does it create Database also? i didnt define to create database )*
    Nope, ORADIM simply creates a service for you that's needed only in the Windows . It does not create a database. FOr that tohappen, you need to fire the "create database" command either using DBCA or manually.
    "ORADIM simply creates a service for you thats needed only in the windows" by service you mean the services we find in "service.msc"??

    Thanks
  • 31. Re: Parallel instances?
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    newbieDBA wrote:
    ( does it create Database also? i didnt define to create database )*
    Nope, ORADIM simply creates a service for you that's needed only in the Windows . It does not create a database. FOr that tohappen, you need to fire the "create database" command either using DBCA or manually.
    "ORADIM simply creates a service for you thats needed only in the windows" by service you mean the services we find in "service.msc"??

    Thanks
    Yes.

    Aman....
  • 32. Re: Parallel instances?
    jgarry Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    newbieDBA wrote:
    jgarry wrote:
    I think you are both talking about the same error from different viewpoints. Oracle has the ability to do RAC - multiple instances for the same database - and there is some init.ora error that is setting that off.
    $ oerr ora 1102
    01102, 00000, "cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode"
    // *Cause:  Some other instance has the database mounted exclusive or shared.
    // *Action: Shutdown other instance or mount in a compatible mode.
    I'd guess the controlfiles ought to be different, at least. There might want to be a reference to the ORACLE_SID in the pathnames for everything, as well as in the names of the spfiles. Haven't totally thought the necessary differences through in years.

    Edit: Oh, now I see this is explained in the, excuse the term, parallel thread.
    So i put wrong title? :( i was just trying to make 2 parallel instances to share a single database
    My bad Mayb
    Yes, people here tend to be very literal, certain words mean certain very exact things. The product that is now called RAC used to be called OPS (Oracle Parallel Server). The idea is to have multiple instances accessing the same database, usually as part of a cluster of hosts with shared storage. This means, theoretically, you can scale a database from a PC to a gigantic cluster costing millions of dollars.

    It is also possible to run multiple databases on a host. This is what you are trying to do. (Edit: Or are you really trying to run RAC?) In general, most of the Oracle docs assume you are running one database per host, so sometimes you have to be careful to adjust configurations to allow for this, and some things just aren't well documented. But it is common, and that's why you can find on the internet descriptions of how to do things like clone a database on a single host. There are many ways to create and run multiple db's on a host. One thing I've found useful is an installer feature that lets you keep scripts for creating databases. It then becomes a simple matter to modify the scripts (assuming you know shell scripting, which is a highly recommended skill).

    Be sure and read the Concepts manual, it helps to use the right terms. There are also [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25789/startup.htm#i1332]nice pictures worth many thousands of words.

    Edited by: jgarry on Feb 22, 2013 2:16 PM
  • 33. Re: Parallel instances?
    newbieDBA Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    jgarry wrote:
    newbieDBA wrote:
    jgarry wrote:
    I think you are both talking about the same error from different viewpoints. Oracle has the ability to do RAC - multiple instances for the same database - and there is some init.ora error that is setting that off.
    $ oerr ora 1102
    01102, 00000, "cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode"
    // *Cause:  Some other instance has the database mounted exclusive or shared.
    // *Action: Shutdown other instance or mount in a compatible mode.
    I'd guess the controlfiles ought to be different, at least. There might want to be a reference to the ORACLE_SID in the pathnames for everything, as well as in the names of the spfiles. Haven't totally thought the necessary differences through in years.

    Edit: Oh, now I see this is explained in the, excuse the term, parallel thread.
    So i put wrong title? :( i was just trying to make 2 parallel instances to share a single database
    My bad Mayb
    Yes, people here tend to be very literal, certain words mean certain very exact things. The product that is now called RAC used to be called OPS (Oracle Parallel Server). The idea is to have multiple instances accessing the same database, usually as part of a cluster of hosts with shared storage. This means, theoretically, you can scale a database from a PC to a gigantic cluster costing millions of dollars.
    well! yes my idea was to have multiple instances accessing a same database ,

    But , according to the post of "*edstevens*" he said "*yes*" when i asked him that *'is he running 10 instances sharing one database on single machine '*.
    please check in this thread .

    Thanks

    Hey SIR ed !! where are you !!I missed you :)
    please give me some assistance on my above posts of replies .

    It is also possible to run multiple databases on a host. This is what you are trying to do. (Edit: Or are you really trying to run RAC?) In general, most of the Oracle docs assume you are running one database per host, so sometimes you have to be careful to adjust configurations to allow for this, and some things just aren't well documented. But it is common, and that's why you can find on the internet descriptions of how to do things like clone a database on a single host. There are many ways to create and run multiple db's on a host. One thing I've found useful is an installer feature that lets you keep scripts for creating databases. It then becomes a simple matter to modify the scripts (assuming you know shell scripting, which is a highly recommended skill).

    Be sure and read the Concepts manual, it helps to use the right terms. There are also [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25789/startup.htm#i1332]nice pictures worth many thousands of words.
    Edited by: jgarry on Feb 22, 2013 2:16 PM
    Thanks Man

    Edited by: newbieDBA on Feb 25, 2013 11:08 AM

    Edited by: newbieDBA on Feb 25, 2013 11:10 AM
  • 34. Re: Parallel instances?
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    newbieDBA wrote:
    jgarry wrote:
    newbieDBA wrote:
    jgarry wrote:
    I think you are both talking about the same error from different viewpoints. Oracle has the ability to do RAC - multiple instances for the same database - and there is some init.ora error that is setting that off.
    $ oerr ora 1102
    01102, 00000, "cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode"
    // *Cause:  Some other instance has the database mounted exclusive or shared.
    // *Action: Shutdown other instance or mount in a compatible mode.
    I'd guess the controlfiles ought to be different, at least. There might want to be a reference to the ORACLE_SID in the pathnames for everything, as well as in the names of the spfiles. Haven't totally thought the necessary differences through in years.

    Edit: Oh, now I see this is explained in the, excuse the term, parallel thread.
    So i put wrong title? :( i was just trying to make 2 parallel instances to share a single database
    My bad Mayb
    Yes, people here tend to be very literal, certain words mean certain very exact things. The product that is now called RAC used to be called OPS (Oracle Parallel Server). The idea is to have multiple instances accessing the same database, usually as part of a cluster of hosts with shared storage. This means, theoretically, you can scale a database from a PC to a gigantic cluster costing millions of dollars.
    well! yes my idea was to have multiple instances accessing a same database ,

    But , according to the post of "*edstevens*" he said "*yes*" when i asked him that *'is he running 10 instances sharing one database on single machine '*.
    please check in this thread .
    Sorry, when I read that question I didn't pick up on the 'shareing one database'. No, they are not shareing one database, it is 10 separate databases. It would make no sense to set up RAC, then put the multiple instances on one server.

    >
    Thanks

    Hey SIR ed !! where are you !!I missed you :)
    please give me some assistance on my above posts of replies .
    I'm afraid at this point I haven't a clue what you are trying to do, and frankly I"m not sure you do either. I'll just second what Joel said is suggesting you need to spend some time in the Concepts manual. Get firmly in your mind *what* you want and *why* you think that is what you want.
    >
    It is also possible to run multiple databases on a host. This is what you are trying to do. (Edit: Or are you really trying to run RAC?) In general, most of the Oracle docs assume you are running one database per host, so sometimes you have to be careful to adjust configurations to allow for this, and some things just aren't well documented. But it is common, and that's why you can find on the internet descriptions of how to do things like clone a database on a single host. There are many ways to create and run multiple db's on a host. One thing I've found useful is an installer feature that lets you keep scripts for creating databases. It then becomes a simple matter to modify the scripts (assuming you know shell scripting, which is a highly recommended skill).

    Be sure and read the Concepts manual, it helps to use the right terms. There are also [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25789/startup.htm#i1332]nice pictures worth many thousands of words.
    Edited by: jgarry on Feb 22, 2013 2:16 PM
    Thanks Man

    Edited by: newbieDBA on Feb 25, 2013 11:08 AM

    Edited by: newbieDBA on Feb 25, 2013 11:10 AM
  • 35. Re: Parallel instances?
    jgarry Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sorry, when I read that question I didn't pick up on the 'shareing one database'. No, they are not shareing one database, it is 10 separate databases. It would make no sense to set up RAC, then put the multiple instances on one server.
    At some point in time, some people were advocating using multiple instances on a single host in order to make wildly different configurations, such as a reporting instance and an OLTP instance. The more sensible thing technically would be to just allocate all to a single instance and let Oracle sort it out, that handles unusually large occasional load. See http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:1855800700346081917 one among many things around that time frame you can find by googling: reporting instance rac on same host.

    There are also examples on the net of setting up test/learning configurations on your laptop for learning RAC. Of course you need to be solid on the fundamentals before going there.
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points